Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Puzzling SL problem.....water in cylinders

I have a '93 SL 650 that has been rock solid. Have always done all the recommended service and storage preparation and this ski has never let me down....until this year. When I removed it from storage and put the water hose on the cooling system it started right up although promptly stalled and then would not turn over. Turned out it was hydro locked with water in all three cylinders. Dried it out and managed to get it going again although once on a hose or in the lake it takes on water inside the motor. It was working perfect when I put it away last year. Any ideas what may be wrong or where I should start checking?

Thank You for your help.
    Alan

+1
    Does it have the reverse flow cooling kit that was an update for early skis?

Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    The same thing happened to me, although it was in the middle of the riding season on my 97 SL1050. This was really odd. I noticed the mag head cover paint peel like it was getting hot. The paint has been peeling for sometime but for some reason, I waited a few months until I decided to do something about it. I performed the pisser mod and things were fine for about two rides. After that second ride, I couldn't get the ski going. I pulled the spark plugs and sure enough, they were all milky. I thought I might have screwed something up but everything looked fine. Just for the hell of it, I pulled off that mag head cover. Low and behold, four of the six head bolts were broken off. That's right, broken off. Everything looked fine other than seeing four head bolts just lying there. Only 40 hours on the motor so there was no corrosion to speak of. I have no idea what could have happened. The only thing I can think of is that the heat from the cylinder and the cool water over the head done something to make the bolt heads weak, or someone over torqued the bolts. I went to unscrew the other two head bolts and it was like I could have broken them off by hand they were so weak. I have never seen anything like that before. Just a shot in the dark, but now I will believe almost anything.

Mine has same problem. Probably needs new head gaskets.

can a leak in one cylinder/head result in water in all three cylinders?

Not sure if I have heard of this kit? What exactly is it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Does it have the reverse flow cooling kit that was an update for early skis?

+1
    It's a leaking exhaust gasket. Usually it's the manifold gasket that leaks into 1 cylinder, but if you are getting it into all 3 cylinders, then it is most likely the headpipe gasket.

The headpipe gasket would likely only effect one cylinder at a time also? Are you referring to the actually exhaust manifold to cylinder head gasket or another gasket within the exhaust system?

Quote Originally Posted by wetwolf View Post
    It's a leaking exhaust gasket. Usually it's the manifold gasket that leaks into 1 cylinder, but if you are getting it into all 3 cylinders, then it is most likely the headpipe gasket.

+1
    The gasket between the exh manifold and the pipe.

Is it normal for a gasket to fail when it has not been touched. Ski worked fine when put into winter storage. When it was started in the spring (water hose connected) water shows up in cylinder(s). could tap pressure blow a gasket?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information