Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Install of Manifold upgrade

SInce im in NJ, and we will have a hurricane this weekend, I figured its a perefect time to tinker in my garage.
    So I will attempt to install the manifold upgrade on my 09 FZS SHO,
    Any tips?
    Do the injectors come out? The fuel rail? Riva instructions dont mention them coming out.
    Any help and advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2quik View Post
    SInce im in NJ, and we will have a hurricane this weekend, I figured its a perefect time to tinker in my garage.
    So I will attempt to install the manifold upgrade on my 09 FZS SHO,
    Any tips?
    Do the injectors come out? The fuel rail? Riva instructions dont mention them coming out.
    Any help and advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    yes i take out the fuel rail and injectors.

+1
    +1 on the fuel rail/ injectors. Also you'll need to remove some electrical connectors. I highly recommend pulling the entire manifold. This is really the best way to do it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I highly recommend pulling the entire manifold. This is really the best way to do it.
    +1 You using the R&D unit or Riva?

Im using the Riva. Will I need any special tools? What should i watch out for?

+1
    Nothing special, just follow the manaual for removal and proper torque specs when installing everything back together. Take your time and have a band-aid or two handy because everything in the dang ski is sharp, even the tie-wraps get you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedJunky View Post
    Nothing special, just follow the manaual for removal and proper torque specs when installing everything back together. Take your time and have a band-aid or two handy because everything in the dang ski is sharp, even the tie-wraps get you.
    Lmao + 5 on the bandages!

Do yourself a favor and while you have the manifold out drill and tap the boss on both ends for future.
    Use a 1/8 ntp tap. Look up some other threads if you want specifics but believe me, sooner or later youll use them. Just put plugs in for now with a little teflon tape or thred sealant...

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Looped View Post
    Lmao + 5 on the bandages!

Do yourself a favor and while you have the manifold out drill and tap the boss on both ends for future.
    Use a 1/8 ntp tap. Look up some other threads if you want specifics but believe me, sooner or later youll use them. Just put plugs in for now with a little teflon tape or thred sealant...
    I agree about taping the intake manifold while it's out. However, if you plan to upgrade to the Riva IC, you can only run a ntp off of the left side of the intake if you are facing the intake/motor. The right side of the manifold towards the supercharger/IC will be way too close to the Riva IC. In fact, in the Riva IC instructions, they make you grind off the boss on the right side of the manifold so the Riva IC fits. I'd do this while you have the manifold out if you plan on getting the Riva IC. That way you don't have to pull the manifold again like I did. I run my BOV directly off of the ntp fitting on the left side of the manifold.

If you do tap the left side, make sure you blow out the metal shavings when you are done with the tap.

Having the manifold out, makes it much easier to get to the throttle body to do the sleeve upgrade and take out that nonsense flame arrestor in there. There is a green electrical connector towards the IC that is tricky to disconnect. You take a small flat head screwdriver and lift the green tab up to disconnect, instead of the standard "push down".

Before you disconnect the fuel line to the fuel rail to take off with the injectors, make sure you unscrew the gas cap to relieve some of the pressure so gas doesn't go everywhere in your hull when you disconnect the fuel line to the rail. Take the harness and move it off to the bulkhead and zip tie it so you have room to take out the manifold and disconnect the IC J tube.

+1
    +1 with the fuel rail. Also, when disconnecting the quick connect fitting wrap it in a rag as gas is pressurized and will shoot on you... Happen to me.

And if its any help, I tie wrapped my fuel line up to the handle bars to keep it from leaking. Seemed to work ok. Nobody mentioned it but to answer your question, the fuel rail just pulls up with the injectors attached. No big thing. Just when you put it back, pay attntion to the injector to make sure they are all seated all the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information