1996 Polaris SLT 780 Fuel Tank Leak

So I had my engine guy remove my oil tank and install a block off plate one of my 96 SLT 780's. Now I am seeing a very small and slow leak. If your looking in the engine compartment back at the fuel tank, it appears it is leaking from the empty bolt hole. I'm assuming that is where the oil tank was attached at? Can someone confirm that is what thos empty bolt holes are.

Thanks

Mark

+1
    That's exactly what they are for..... oil tank (bracket) mounting points. It should have no bearing on your fuel tank leaking unless they (or something else) were rubbing something and it is only now visible.

Ok, with that being the case I can confirm that gas is leaking out of the right mouting hole. So it appears that there must be a small pin hole in the back of the thing or around the edge of it. Either way I am going to use J-B WaterWeld to fill in the right bolt hole and just around the edge to try to fix this. Other option would be to only keep the tank filled out to 3/4 so that it would be below that point..

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    How about re-installing the oil tank bracket with a rubber seal between the tank and the bracket to seal around the hole?

This has happened to me twice on the same ski. The first time I replaced the tank with a new one for around $350. I did the work myself. The engine has to be pulled to get the job done. Now the new one has a leak in the same spot, there is a crack coming off the bolt hole for the oil tank mounting bracket. This must be the week spot. I am certain that this is happening due to pressure build up in the tank when the ski is in storage. I live in the Coachella Valley, one of the hottest places on earth. Each summer we get temperatures at or above 120 degrees. I suggest you always leave your gas caps cracked open when putting the ski away for the season. Out here we really do not need to worry about condensation in the gas tank. Bacause these ski's are getting so old there are no longer new gas tanks available. You will most likely have to get one from a junk yard or off ebay. I found mine on Craig's list.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenholz1 View Post
    So I had my engine guy remove my oil tank and install a block off plate one of my 96 SLT 780's. Now I am seeing a very small and slow leak. If your looking in the engine compartment back at the fuel tank, it appears it is leaking from the empty bolt hole. I'm assuming that is where the oil tank was attached at? Can someone confirm that is what thos empty bolt holes are.

Thanks

Mark

Thread Information