Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide.

Help me decide.

Great forum here guys, I've been reading around for about a month. As a matter of fact, this site has convinced me to buy a Yamaha over the 300x I originally thought I wanted.
    I am having a hard time deciding between a fzr/fzs or a vxr. I ride on smaller lakes (currently have a pair of Polaris skies), mixed riding style. Absolute top speed is not really my thing, I want something that handles, and gets out of the hole like a rocket.
    I see pros and cons to both models I am considering, but would like to get the opinions of you guys that may have had or have both models.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk..

What Polaris do you have..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
    Great forum here guys, I've been reading around for about a month. As a matter of fact, this site has convinced me to buy a Yamaha over the 300x I originally thought I wanted.
    I am having a hard time deciding between a fzr/fzs or a vxr. I ride on smaller lakes (currently have a pair of Polaris skies), mixed riding style. Absolute top speed is not really my thing, I want something that handles, and gets out of the hole like a rocket.
    I see pros and cons to both models I am considering, but would like to get the opinions of you guys that may have had or have both models.
    Are you into modding? How fast do you want to go (top speed), or do you care? Are you into future upgrades (go fast parts) or are you going to leave it stock?

+1
    Welcome to the forum,

I own a VXR, FZS and a FX-HO(2006). If top speed isn't all that important for you I would definitely recommend you to buy the FX-HO 1800N/A. I understand this model isn't on your wish list but by far it is the best all around ski. It has great gas millage, great handling, enough punch, the best of the three when it comes to comfort, it has cruise control and a top speed of 63MPH, with just a few bolt ons you will be at 67MPH. I hope you find this information helpful, Julio...

+1
    I would say if top speed isn't your thing, it's hard to beat the VXS/R's.. They'll run with 95% of anything you'll see on a lake/river, and they're tossable and fun... The smallish lake you list makes me think this vs the FZ's, which are more geared towards rough water(even though they still suck at it without mods)

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the hulk..

What Polaris do you have..
    I have a SLX 780 and a SLX 1200<--- I am keeping this one for the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Are you into modding? How fast do you want to go (top speed), or do you care? Are you into future upgrades (go fast parts) or are you going to leave it stock?
    -I'll just say that I plan on leaving it fairly stock, probably just intake/exhaust mods. That being said, I drag race cars (I have 1 car that will be at the 1000+rwhp level, and another at 800 rwhp) and have a problem with leaving things alone. I end up working on the cars more than racing them. This is where the VXR comes into play, with N/A power I am less likely to start messing with boost and tuning. The only 2 drawbacks for me on the VXR is the lack of trim adjustment, and telescoping bars.

Quote Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
    Welcome to the forum,

I own a VXR, FZS and a FX-HO(2006). If top speed isn't all that important for you I would definitely recommend you to buy the FX-HO 1800N/A. I understand this model isn't on your wish list but by far it is the best all around ski. It has great gas millage, great handling, enough punch, the best of the three when it comes to comfort, it has cruise control and a top speed of 63MPH, with just a few bolt ons you will be at 67MPH. I hope you find this information helpful, Julio...
    Thanks Julio, I'll take a look the the FX-HO again, it seemed a little big to me (seemed like it would be hard to throw around) when I looked at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Struck View Post
    I would say if top speed isn't your thing, it's hard to beat the VXS/R's.. They'll run with 95% of anything you'll see on a lake/river, and they're tossable and fun... The smallish lake you list makes me think this vs the FZ's, which are more geared towards rough water(even though they still suck at it without mods)

Yeah top speed isn't that big a deal to me, but I do want at least 65mph.

The other thing I need to consider is my elevation, we are at 5300ft., and one of the lakes I go to is at 6200ft. I am wondering if the VXR would be "flat" because of the lack of air here. Anybody running a VXR @ elevation?

Crystal River Florida. Home of speed restricted manatee zones.
    +1
    I have an FZS...it handles great, has the step bar and tow hook (which is a must for me). I love it. Runs like a raped ape...67ish mph top speed...with a few mods your into the 70's. Shits and gets like no ones business...and that supercharger whine is just music to my ears.

Love my vxr but if it gets choppy the ride gets tough on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Lo View Post
    Love my vxr but if it gets choppy the ride gets tough on the body.
    I bet it's like a Cadillac compared to my little slx 780, that little ski is rough in the chop!

+1
    I really rate my FZS, great handling, big enough to be very stable and great power. All round a greatski for all occasions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information