Thread: Oil leak 717

Oil leak 717

Have small oil leak at bottom rear of rotary valve cover/intake manifold . Does not appear to be any oil line. 97 GTS 717 Runs great-no excessive smoke.
    1. Could it be a gasket at intake manifold or an o-ring or gasket at rotary valve cover ?
    2. How can I remove the rotary valve cover without disturbing the position of rotary valve?
    3. Any info or discussion appreciated. Pictures very helpful.
    Thanks in advance,RP

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    rotary valve cover o-ring can be done with engine in hull, unless u are a total dork you won't lose the rv valve timing.

be sure to use plenty of threadlock..sometimes the bottom two bolt holes go all the way into the crankcases.

be patient and lien the inside of the hull with rags to keep parts from disappearing under the engine mount plate

couple of hours work for a first time. keep it neat and clean..it's a sensitive area to work on.

Thanks Pete for the quick response. Could the leak be from the valve cover gasket?

+1
    An oil leak down there is usually an oil line or the oil pump itself.

If you had oil dripping out of the RV cover then you would also have an air leak when running causing other problems.

The big oil line feeds the RV cavity and can leak where the hose clamps onto the engine fitting or where the fitting is threaded into the block.
    The smaller oil line from the tank can leak at the connection to the oil pump or one of the small lines can be leaking from the pump to the RV fittings.

The oil lines,oil pump and RV cavity are always under slight pressure from the weight of the oil in the tank above them. If the check valves on the small oil lines are leaking then over time these will drip oil into the crankcase and cause excessive smoke on startup. If the RV shaft seal or crank seals are leaking they will cause the same problem. If you don't have excessive smoke on startup then it's probably an external leak at one of the oil line connections.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by roperdue View Post
    Thanks Pete for the quick response. Could the leak be from the valve cover gasket?
    I thought that's what I said....

as stated, the leak could be from a number of places, so a good inspection after cleaning everything off will really save you some aggravation. I've not seen oil at the bottom of the valve cover only unless the o-ring was leaking. Best to have the big o-ring on hand before disassemble as even a small pinch will allow leakage.

Thread Information