Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starter project

Starter project

Just got this 97 Polaris SLT 700. I'm sure I have plenty of work to do, but look forward to the good times awaiting me. $400.00 to get it home, now the work begins...currently the starter does not engage, I just get a click when trying to start it. This site has already become a great resource to me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110823_073759.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	251192

Might wanna check see if the engine turns by hand. Remove plugs and turn the shaft. Atleast then you know its a starter/bendix issue

+1
    try removing the pump if you cannot turn the engine by hand

It took a little coaxing but the engine finally turned. Bad thing is the jet pump bolts were broke thru the fiberglass (not by me). I guess its time for epoxy repair, anyone have helpful suggestion? This is all new to me, but I learn as I go.

I'm putting together a parts list, carb kits, fuel lines, plugs, battery. It looks like I need a updated ignition ??? part number??? Do I replace the stator with the update? Any other items I might need?

+1
    My suggestion - pull the jugs and check for water / rust in the bottom end BEFORE spending lots of $$$ on all the other stuff. A rusty bottom end will mean repair replacement of those parts (crank, bearings, etc) before all the other stuff.
    Some times a new to you motor is more cost effective than buying the individual pieces parts to get it back together as you go.........

+1
    The updated ignition is a good safety to make sure that you're not left stranded at some point. I'd recommend following BlueFishCrisis's advice and take a good thorough look over the engine to make sure it is in good shape. Nothing worse than spending a ton of money and then tearing into something to find out it needs more work than you originally though.

I think if it were me I'd try to get it at least started and running (or at least turning over to check for good compression) before spending the ~$300 on an ignition kit update. Also make sure you buy genuine Keihin carb kits and not aftermarket (Such as SBT). Here's a link, post #11 has the info for the ignition update kit.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Only-Idle-HELP!

Compression test cyl#1 = 185psi ...cyl#2 =180psi with old weak battery..lol. Sheared a bolt on manifold outlet (on top of cylinder head) anyone with an extra bolt sitting around??

Sprayed carb cleaner in it and it fired up but, I did not try to keep it running, it was just to see if it would spark up and it did!!! Wooohoo!! I need to fix the fiberglass where the pump bolts sheared thru and then get to ordering parts and put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by timBbroke View Post
    Compression test cyl#1 = 185psi ...cyl#2 =180psi with old weak battery..lol. Sheared a bolt on manifold outlet (on top of cylinder head) anyone with an extra bolt sitting around??
    Those #'s seem a little high, is it an aftermarket head? I'm pretty sure with that compression you will have to run straight race fuel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information