Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

99 and 2001 Yamaha waverunner

I am looking to buy a couple of used skis to see if me and the family will enjoy them before i buy brand new ones.The questions i have is what to check for when looking them over all i know from talking to the women is that 2001 is a 800 Yamaha and the 1200 is a 99 .Does anyone here know the compression on these ski i did not ask here the models .I am supposed to go look at them tomorrow .I know my way around car engines very well but never played around with 2 strokes besides my weed eater and a couple of boat motors that were 2 stokes to be honest i never really had any problems with the boat engines to have to get my hands in there to fix .Any info that you can think that would help would be great.

+1
    First is how much are they asking? How many hours on ski? Ever had carbs rebuilt? Good comp is 110+ and should be close across all cylinders. Ask on any rebuilds, upgrades and check compression. Original engines or SBT rebuilds "still under warranty"? Don't fall for "dead battery" or the ignorance approach where the seller acts like they don't have a clue. Look for corrosion, oil ring around the hull, or any other sign that may indicate ski has had issues that may be diferent from what the seller may be telling you. If they can't prove it, don't take their word for it. Water test is a must if you are serious. Also, check for good cables, gauges and wear rings.

+1
    If the '99 1200 is a GP1200(2 person) then the stock compression is 120psi. If its a XL1200(3 person), then that the powervalve engine and its stock compression is also around 120 I think. The 2001 could be a GPR800(2 person) or an XL800 (3 person).Not sure what the compression should be on that one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by leejax01 View Post
    First is how much are they asking? How many hours on ski? Ever had carbs rebuilt? Good comp is 110+ and should be close across all cylinders. Ask on any rebuilds, upgrades and check compression. Original engines or SBT rebuilds "still under warranty"? Don't fall for "dead battery" or the ignorance approach where the seller acts like they don't have a clue. Look for corrosion, oil ring around the hull, or any other sign that may indicate ski has had issues that may be diferent from what the seller may be telling you. If they can't prove it, don't take their word for it. Water test is a must if you are serious. Also, check for good cables, gauges and wear rings.
    +1 Good advice the only thing i would add is Ride it for a couple of hours dont be afraid to hold it wide open. if there is an issue it should show up.

+1
    1200 is an xl with and it has 180 hours never been touched 2001 is a gpr 800 has 80 hours on it and has never been touched .Price, 4000 for both with trailer i sent someone to look at them today and he could not believe how clean the were inside and out ,she is selling them due to the kids going back to school and doesn't want them sitting around she also said its not a problem if they dont sell .I told her if compression checks out i will pick them up on Wednesday.They are the second owners the first owner was a Helicopter mech. .sowhat do u guys think good deal or no .They have someone coming to look at them tonight supposedly i told her to call me and let me know if they brought them or if she would give me a chance with an offer ,i did want to tell her i would match just i case she is blowing smoke up my a**

+1
    yes thats a good price for those two skis and a double trailer. The only problem I see is "never been touched." What did she mean by that? Because certainly they've needed maintenance. They might be ticking time bombs.

+1
    Ask what is the service record because 180 hours is time for some rebuilds ie carbs and maybe even top end. Don't let clean skis fool you. How long have they been sitting for bad gas in the carbs etc.Verify mechanically sound. Don't listen to the don't care if they sell approach. If it is listed and they are replying, they care.

Sounds like they will atleast both need a carb rebuild if not recently done and check both for compression... especially the 1200. Check both for the wear ring by looking in the nozzle and seeing light evenly all the way around the impeller. Check cables to see all functions are free. Key is to find any issues the seller has not disclosed to get that price tipping in your favor. Water test if you are serious.

+1
    Soory for the mix up .She said maintenance was done regularly ,When i say not touched i mean no rebuilding of any kind ,if carbs need rebuilding i am going to do that any way ,i guess what i would like to know is how to see if the bottom end is good in both skis .I dont really care if i have to do some work on them ,i do know enough about car motors to fix carb,spark,and any fuel issues i just dont feel like rebuilding motors as soon as i get them .For me money is not really the issue.I dont want to b uy new ones and find out my family doesnt really like to go out on them 6 months from now and i have to sell the for half of what i paid ,just because i dont have money issues in my life doesnt mean i just want to throw it out the window, if you know what i mean .She called back today and said last guy did not call her back ,also took the of the net as well.So what do you guys think should i pull the trigger get them home relize there junk and just build both motors to the hill and run the shit out of them ,i mean i guess if that is the worst thing that can happen then im still happy with life

Also what is the proper way to check the compression on the skis is it the same as all motors pull one plug fire it then so one and so forth

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Creative View Post
    So what do you guys think should i pull the trigger get them home relize there junk and just build both motors to the hill and run the shit out of them ,i mean i guess if that is the worst thing that can happen then im still happy with life
    That about sums up what I did. Bought mine GP1200, rode it for about a month, realized it was quite up to par, and started digging in. The more I started digging, the more ended up spending. I rebuilt the engine and went through the jetpump. But I'm happy with the results and I'm having a blast riding this thing.

+1
    Thats what im thinking when you buy older skis it sounds to me like that is what you do after a short while ,im just seeing if i can get any insight on checking them out before i buy them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information