2005 Honda Turbo - electrical question

The battery was dead on my Honda. Being a few years old I figured it was time for a new battery but when I replaced it I noticed a humming/buzzing sound in the black box next to the battery. When I unplugged the large red wire harness next to the battery the noise stopped. Also, when I start the unit and then shut it off the noise is gone for a few minutes but then starts up again. It sounds like a relay of some sort is possibly sticking??? Any help on this problem would be appreciated.

+1
    Buy a new main relay and replace yours. It is a PIB and takes about a hour.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....e=13&A=18&B=39

Thanks - I ordered the part.

I am not too handy. Is there a diagram or step by step directions on the internet somewhere that may help with the replacement of this part? Thanks again!

+1
    Pwctoday.com has a lot of descriptions available by using the Search feature. The red wire is a PIB to get uncliped. Be sure to remove the 5 mm allen fasteners that hold on the seat base to get access to it.

Thank you!

buzzing?

Could my issue be related to the main relay? I hear the humming when I pull the kill, i thought it was the fuel pump spinning because I have always heard it, now it won't crank, I just get a different buzzing noise when I try to crank it. Battery is fully charged and checks OK on load.

I was riding for about 1.5 hours solid yesterday, then my top RPM and speed reduced about 20%, then I started getting a beep and warning light. I drove it home about 45min on the trailer, dropped it in the nearest lake and it started and ran fine for about 5-10 minutes before slowing and beeping again. Then the throttle was just pulsing as I got back to the ramp. Now it won't crank at all on the trailer.

One time it cranked, but I did not hear the buzzing noise and it did not start.

Let me know if anyone thinks the relay will fix the issues. It clearly seems to be electrical. Thanks.

+1
    Have you made sure the engine will turn over and not locked up? The main relay [when bad] will buzz, keep it from starting or kill your battery [sometimes all three]. If it won't turn by hand, check it with your pump off before you go into the motor.

Thread Information