Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rough Water Stalling?

2006 VX 110 Deluxe / 315hrs

I'm having a stalling issue when in rough water. This stalling is not present when water is smooth and the stalling is not effected by engine temp. or fuel tank level. I've tried the search bar here without any luck... anyone familiar with this situation???

A little more info.:
    I have a pair of these units that I purchased new and mechanically they've been awesome... but for whatever reason only one of these units is experiencing this rough water stall. The engine doesn't shut off but it seems as though it starves for fuel as though the fuel pump shuts down. I can shorten the stall by releasing the throttle then jumping back on it. If I turn a corner on the lake and the water in front of me is smooth instantly the stall vanishes and the unit runs great as always. Very weird!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks Much!!!

+1
    There is a slant detection switch that shuts the ski down if it flips...not sure where it's located though. Maybe try swapping the sensor off the other ski & see if it cures the problem.

+1
    You can also first try the "self-diagnosis" by holding the select button for 8 seconds to see if it throws a code. I looked it up in the GPR & SHO svc manuals & the slant detection code is 47 for both...probably the same on the VX.

It looks like the switch will be mounted near the ECU. It's part #5 in this diagram:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 28 18.47.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	251368  

That's the beauty of having 2 identical units. You can pull the slant switch off of the one and put it on the other to see if it works. Have you been keeping up with your maintenance. Perhaps spark plugs?

Great suggestion's mj-3... I'll try both hopefully weds. and see what happens. Plugs have been changed and at the end of each season I do all the normal maintenance before I put them away for the "w".

Thanks much on the replies!

+1
    you could also consider the cat if it has one i had the same problem a few years ago on a gp1300r and it was the centre of the cat broken and moving about blocking the exhaust killing all the power...

No cat on that ski unless you have the CA model. One other thing to consider is a loose electrical connection. My brother had a weird problem with one of his skis running bad whenever he hit choppy water. Finally localized it to a loose ignition coil connection. He would basically loose one cylinder when the vibrations were just right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    No cat on that ski unless you have the CA model. One other thing to consider is a loose electrical connection. My brother had a weird problem with one of his skis running bad whenever he hit choppy water. Finally localized it to a loose ignition coil connection. He would basically loose one cylinder when the vibrations were just right.
    +1

I'm going to start with the slant detection unit... I'm hoping this is an easy swap between the 2 ski's. I found this schematic and it appears to show this part as item #16 (?)... can anyone give me a better understanding where this is located to save me some time when swapping these out.

Thanks Again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slant Detection Unit.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	251544

I have an FZR but mine is located in the electrical box right next to the ECU. it is a small black box with two screws holding it. I think there is only 2 wires coming out of it also if I remember right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information