Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polaris Virage Issue. Please help.

Ok guys I got a brain teaser for you. My 2001 Polaris Virage 700 carb/ lost spark and would not start. It ran perfectly before that. So first thing I did was put a new battery in it and cleaned the connections. Still no spark. So I replaced the CDI and I finally got spark. However after taking it on the water it would only rev to 4500 rpms. I seems pretty doggy on the take off also. So after reading some posts I replaced the stator, coil, wires, plugs. Still same issue. I then rebuilt the carb just for the heck of it, because like I said before it ran perfect up until the no spark issue. There is no warning lights on the display flashing. I blew out all the fuel lines and drained and refilled the fuel tank. Still same issue. It does run perfect on land. It will redline all day long if I wanted it to. Just under load it has issues. Compression is great. I tried holding the bilge button while riding it to see if that helps but no change. So basically it has all new ignition components ( not used) and fuel system rebuilt. Could the start/stop regulator cause this problem? Sorry for the long story but I wanted to be informative. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

+1
    Yes,it sounds like something weird is goig on.
    The LR (start/stop) would not limit the RPM,usually causes no-crank or no power to CDI.

The limiter shows being 3500 rpm. Might try disconnecting thr grey wire from CDI.(not the one going to stator-grey wire going to terminal board-tan wire )

Which CDI part # did you install ?

The part number for the new CDI I installed is 4010558. If it was a rev limiter issue would it not rev up fine on land? My revs up fine on land. Just in the water is it wont rev oiut higher than 4500 give or take.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    it'll rev so fast on the trailer it doesn't sound like its hitting a limiter unless you just keep it held wot throttle or actually hold the rpms steady around 5000

I am just watching the RPM guage. On land it revs all the way up. In water only to about 4500 rpm per the tach.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    What kind of compression do you have in your cylinders?

Is there any gap/clearance requirements for the pick-up at the stator?

Compression is great. I want to say it was around 150 psi. It ran great up until it lost spark. Which makes me beleive that is still electrical. I know weak spark can cause this issue but all my ignition components are new. The stator is a direct bolt on. Like I have been saying, it will rev to 8-9k rpms all day long on the trailer, but as soon as it hits the water it wont rev past 4500 rpms. It doesnt cut out at that speed like a rev limiter but just wont rev any higher. I know its not hitting the rev limiter. I guess I would just like to know if there is something else that can be causing this.

Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1
    I was just thinking low compression posibly. Sounds like your ignition is not advancing under load? When you put your new stator on, did it look like your flywheel could have broke the keyway? Or does your ski have a throttle position sensor on your carb?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy82 View Post
    Ok guys I got a brain teaser for you. My 2001 Polaris Virage 700 carb/ lost spark and would not start. It ran perfectly before that. So first thing I did was put a new battery in it and cleaned the connections. Still no spark. So I replaced the CDI and I finally got spark. However after taking it on the water it would only rev to 4500 rpms. I seems pretty doggy on the take off also. So after reading some posts I replaced the stator, coil, wires, plugs. Still same issue. I then rebuilt the carb just for the heck of it, because like I said before it ran perfect up until the no spark issue. There is no warning lights on the display flashing. I blew out all the fuel lines and drained and refilled the fuel tank. Still same issue. It does run perfect on land. It will redline all day long if I wanted it to. Just under load it has issues. Compression is great. I tried holding the bilge button while riding it to see if that helps but no change. So basically it has all new ignition components ( not used) and fuel system rebuilt. Could the start/stop regulator cause this problem? Sorry for the long story but I wanted to be informative. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
    Did you check your timing? Sounds like the same problem I was having with my 01 Virage. Replaced a dying CDI on my machine and even though it solved the start problem and the motor will freely rev on the trailer.......it would fall flat under throttle on the 1st wet test. The only difference I could discern in comparison after replacement of the CDI......the motor is ever so slightly "off note" and didn't idle as smoothly on the trailer and was making a "popping" sound the 2 or 3 times I could get it to rev up during my one and only wet test.

I'm assuming its a timing issue......which I haven't checked yet because I can't get the @#$%^&* timing hole plug out to check/confirm.

I'm not going to put mine back into the water until I've had a chance to check both static and dynamic timing.

Do you know what the timing is suppose to be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information