Found the problem with cavitation, now what?

I was having a problem with cavitation during acceleration and went to replace the wear ring. Long story short, I found a dealer that had one but said that I would need an impeller removal tool in order to replace it. I was able to remove the pump and take the entire assembly (minus impeller) to him. Wear ring was definitely in need of replacement, but also noticed that the bearings (any anything else) inside the cone were shot. The impeller shaft stayed attached to the impeller so the shaft was essentially in the cone floating freely while still on the ski- no oil was the cause of this problem. He directed me to a site that sold all the necessary rebuild parts. Anyone got any experience with rebuilding these things? How bad of a situation am I in exactly? Shop said that they could fix it for $500 but I'd be getting a rebuilt pump from them with no warranty. From what I can tell on a parts list, I can get the necessary parts for around $100- add another $125 for impeller shaft if needed. Where's the best place for parts? He suggested Riva Racing. Thanks!

[QUOTE=cobrastrike;1788309]I was having a problem with cavitation during acceleration and went to replace the wear ring. Long story short, I found a dealer that had one but said that I would need an impeller removal tool in order to replace it. I was able to remove the pump and take the entire assembly (minus impeller) to him. Wear ring was definitely in need of replacement, but also noticed that the bearings (any anything else) inside the cone were shot. The impeller shaft stayed attached to the impeller so the shaft was essentially in the cone floating freely while still on the ski- no oil was the cause of this problem. He directed me to a site that sold all the necessary rebuild parts. Anyone got any experience with rebuilding these things? How bad of a situation am I in exactly? Shop said that they could fix it for $500 but I'd be getting a rebuilt pump from them with no warranty. From what I can tell on a parts list, I can get the necessary parts for around $100- add another $125 for impeller shaft if needed. Where's the best place for parts? He suggested Riva Racing. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I did a cost comparison between buying at the dealer and Parker yamaha. You have to factor in shipping costs. I needed a new pump housing which I bought from them and they have all the tools needed. Basically by the time I got done. I spent a little less than the dealer would have charged and put some new tools in my box. Even built my own pressure tester.

pics

Took a few snapshots tonight to try explaining better of my situation. One pic shows impeller and shaft still attached. Other pic shows inside of cone and the damage that was done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	251521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0182.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	251522  

Thread Information