Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just bought 96 XP and doesnt want to turn over

Well, i just ran into a deal that i thought was pretty good. A 96 XP 800 that i was going to buy for 1500. The guy had a 94 xp also. He wanted to get rid of both of them. So i got the 96 XP, a 94xp and a nice 2 place trailer, plus he drove 3 hrs to bring it to me for $1700.

Now, the 96 XP will start with a fully charged battery but it has a slight hesitation right when you hit the button. Ive tried 4 different batteries. 1 was brand new, and not cheap batteries. If it is on the charger for about 15 mins, it has enough juice to turn it over to start but as soon as i take the charger off after 10 mins it doesnt have enough. Any idea on what could be wrong here? Like i said, when its fully charged, it will start and run with no problem.

Now for the 94 xp with i believe a 580 motor? It is supposed to run, but when trying to start it as soon as the button is pushed there is a single click coming from the electrical box in the front. All it does is click one time and then nothing until i release the button and push it again. Any ideas what that could be?

any help is much appreciated. would really like to have these things figured out so i can ride them!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h400exrydr84 View Post
    Well, i just ran into a deal that i thought was pretty good. A 96 XP 800 that i was going to buy for 1500. The guy had a 94 xp also. He wanted to get rid of both of them. So i got the 96 XP, a 94xp and a nice 2 place trailer, plus he drove 3 hrs to bring it to me for $1700.

Now, the 96 XP will start with a fully charged battery but it has a slight hesitation right when you hit the button. Ive tried 4 different batteries. 1 was brand new, and not cheap batteries. If it is on the charger for about 15 mins, it has enough juice to turn it over to start but as soon as i take the charger off after 10 mins it doesnt have enough. Any idea on what could be wrong here? Like i said, when its fully charged, it will start and run with no problem.

Now for the 94 xp with i believe a 580 motor? It is supposed to run, but when trying to start it as soon as the button is pushed there is a single click coming from the electrical box in the front. All it does is click one time and then nothing until i release the button and push it again. Any ideas what that could be?

any help is much appreciated. would really like to have these things figured out so i can ride them!
    On your 94 xp. Remove spark plugs and pto cover. Can you turn crankshaft over by hand? With a voltmeter do you have 12v at starter terminal when you hit the start button?

On the 96 xp. With the spark plugs out is the crank easy to turn?

Both turn over easy and smooth by hand with the plugs out. And on the 94 where is that terminal you are talking about? At the battery it goes from 13.03 to 12.74. Im not sure where exactly im supposed to be testing. I've never worked on a seadoo

And on the 96...i can get it to start 2 times off of a fully charged battery. Then it doesnt have enough power to start again.

I also think i should say...when trying to turn over the 96 the starter gets very hot to the touch. Like i can't touch it for more than 2 seconds without burning my skin.

+1
    You have check fluid levels right? Oil is injected still in both I assume. I would also make sure that the ground wire had a good clean connection. The other things you can look up here is on stator replacement. But I would make sure you are dealing with electrical and not physical first. I have both 94 and 96 and this site has "magicians" that got both of mine "out of retirement" and screaming on the lake. So hang in there.

Yes both still injected. Levels are all good. Im going to get a video of wat is happening tomorrow. And then i will be checking/cleaning all contacts everywhere. Pretty sure the 96 will need a new starter.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    replace your main ground wires on both. sounds like the starter is trashed on the 96...replace that too. have you done a compression check on the motors yet? the 96 should be around 150+/-5 psi. as long as the numbers are close you should be good. the 94 should have about 120psi. Now. with that said if you have batteries dying after being on the water for 10 mins you have a bad stator or pick up and that requires pulling the motor for access to the front of the motor. you may also want to trim ther plug wires back a 1/4 inch and reinstall the boot for better spark. check all fuses in the front gray box and the rear black box on the 96 and the front gray box on the 94. the 94 has a bad starter. that is a PIA to replace as you have to take the exhaust off to get to it and then replace the seals ater you are done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by h400exrydr84 View Post
    And on the 94 where is that terminal you are talking about?
    The only terminal on the starter. That should be the big red wire.

i will be checking/ replacing the ground wires tonight. i just ordered myself a new starter. compression on the 96 is right at 150psi in both cylinders. i havent gotten them out on the water yet. just the starter i think is trying to pull too much power and is killing the battery after it tries to start 2 times.

now for the 94. i cant really check the compression yet because i cant turn the motor over. Now are you for sure that the starter would be bad on the 94 too? im going to check that red wire on the terminal to see what it reads. honestly the 94 isnt on my worries list right now compared to the 96.

thanks for all the replies!! keep them coming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information