If I leave the key on will it drain the battery?

If I leave the glove box key turned "on" will this drain my battery and run up the hour meter? If so how long does it take to drain the battery? This is a new to me 2005 STX-15F. Love the Ski but I have trouble remembering to turn that darn key off! I didn't have a key like this on the machines I've been riding for 25 years! Sorry if this has been covered before. I searched and couldn't find any info. Thanks

+1
    No it will not drain the battery. I leave mine in all the time. If you notice when you shut the ski down it will shut everything down in a few seconds. You will need to push the key again to get everything started us as you have noticed. All will be fine.

Ok Thanks, That's good to know. The manual says it may drain the battery so I was worried. I remembered that I left it on Sat. night after I was in bed so I had to go out and turn it off!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boater454 View Post
    Ok Thanks, That's good to know. The manual says it may drain the battery so I was worried. I remembered that I left it on Sat. night after I was in bed so I had to go out and turn it off!
    I ride ZVery often so that may help keep it charged. My 07 just got a new battery and that was after almost 350 hours. Still working but I didn't want to take a chance anymore. I have left the key pretty much since I got the ski in 07. I am not saying to ignore the manual they know better than me but I have not had that problem.

I your battery dies from the few minutes it takes for auto-shutoff, there are bigger issues to worry about. Any normally functioning battery will not be adversly affected by leaving the key in.

Thread Information