+1

Heres one you probably haven't seen. 1300 thrust washer

Was riding my daughters 1300r a few weeks ago had it wide open and it started making a noise like a piece of power valve was hitting the head. by the time i got it stopped it quit making the noise. cranked it back up and it ran fine just wouldn't top out as fast so loaded it on trailed brought it back to the shop no compression on #1. pulled it down the rings all in tack cylinder scratched up like crazy and small thin pieces of steel in the top of the cylinder and head.
    The crank is fine the cases aren't even scratched all the reeds are OK even the wrist pin bearing is good. the only thing i couldn't find when i tore it down was one of the thrust washers on the trashed cylinder.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Was riding my daughters 1300r a few weeks ago had it wide open and it started making a noise like a piece of power valve was hitting the head. by the time i got it stopped it quit making the noise. cranked it back up and it ran fine just wouldn't top out as fast so loaded it on trailed brought it back to the shop no compression on #1. pulled it down the rings all in tack cylinder scratched up like crazy and small thin pieces of steel in the top of the cylinder and head.
    The crank is fine the cases aren't even scratched all the reeds are OK even the wrist pin bearing is good. the only thing i couldn't find when i tore it down was one of the thrust washers on the trashed cylinder.
    Have seen it many times will need to replace the crank or get it rebuild.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Have seen it many times will need to replace the crank or get it rebuild.
    Thats what i thought at first but when i checked to see if it was out of phase it was not and also checked end play it was ok. then i miked the rod to see if it was centered it was in tolerance. and there is no wear or heat marks on the side of the rod at the piston. it looks like the thrust washer broke and went on top of piston.

I would fear the bearings for the crank nearest that rod will be full of metal, only one way to find out though i guess, just hope it doesn't tear the case or anything up if she lets loose. I lost # 2, and the bearings around it were on there way out had to split the case and spin them to find out though.

+1
    You will never know for certain the condition of that crank until it is removed from the cases and double checked.

Best to be safe than sorry.

Also, if someone else put that engine together, they might not have installed both washers.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Thats what i thought at first but when i checked to see if it was out of phase it was not and also checked end play it was ok. then i miked the rod to see if it was centered it was in tolerance. and there is no wear or heat marks on the side of the rod at the piston. it looks like the thrust washer broke and went on top of piston.

Thread Information