1996 Polaris Handle Bar Alignment Help!!

Hello, in order to keep my 1996 Polaris SLT 780 going straight the handlebars have to be turned to the right. Similar to a car that pulls in one direction. How do I go about making them straight? If I have put them dead straight while runnig the ski will do a left turn about 25 degrees.

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Mark

There is a stainless rod end on the end of your steering cable that bolts to the steering nozzle that you can adjust. Unbolt from the steering nozzle and loosen the jam nut on the cable and you will be able to adjust your handle bars straight.

Great, any possible pictures you could include to show me exactly where that would be. I'm new to working on these myself but have driven them for years. Anything would help, even a hand drawn picture.

Thanks

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton G View Post
    There is a stainless rod end on the end of your steering cable that bolts to the steering nozzle that you can adjust. Unbolt from the steering nozzle and loosen the jam nut on the cable and you will be able to adjust your handle bars straight.
    theres also one under the hood to on the steering cable also

Here's a couple of pic's. The second pic is probably more like what you have. The rod end and bolt are on the upper right part of the steering nozzle arm. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	251495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	251496  

Ok, so I need to remove the front end steering rod and then remove the back bolt and nut and then turn the nut which is right near the end to shorten or lengthen the rod. The re-assemble both correct?

either work on the tail end where it connects to the pump, or the front end. Don't disconnect both. If you dont get enough play to fix it at the tail end then go to the front for more adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by mwenholz1 View Post
    Ok, so I need to remove the front end steering rod and then remove the back bolt and nut and then turn the nut which is right near the end to shorten or lengthen the rod. The re-assemble both correct?

Yes, I had just the front off earlier and started to twist the cable but felt some resistance and did not want to ruin the cable so I stopped. So your saying just keep twisting the cable to either shorten or lengthen the distance?

on the tail end there is a piece the cable screws into with a lock nut, loosen the lock nut and you can add or take out length to adjust. Up by the steering column you have to loosen 2 bolts above and under near the oil tank that hold the cable in place to add or take out length. The tail end is much easier. I have been working on this the past few days.

Thanks for the information. I will work on this tonight or tomorrow and report back if I'm still having problems.

Thanks

Mark

Thread Information