Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar

Question '97 GP1200 Solas XO & Intake/Ride Plate

After reviewing this website. I want to take my '97 and work on the lower end to reduce cavitation and porposing. For starters when I hit the throttle it seems like the ski is revving at max RPM, but I'm not moving anywhere. I'm assuming this is a problem with the impeller, or pump housing.

While I am taking this apart this winter, I figure I might as well upgrade some components. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Or out of the modifications listed at the above site, which ones will give me the best bang for my buck?

Initially I'm thinking about the Solas XO impeller but was curious which will be better the (RIVA Limited ride plate or the R&D Intake Grate)?
    I also have to source these parts...and it appears they are harder to come by than I thought. Anyone have one to sell?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VonnerNIX View Post
    After reviewing this website.

........While I am taking this apart this winter, I figure I might as well upgrade some components. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Or out of the modifications listed at the above site, which ones will give me the best bang for my buck?
    The best thing to help reduce porpoising on the 97 is the aftermarket trim tabs along with the stock "long" ride plate. The stock plastic trim tabs have a tendency to pull off at high speed.... the suction created at high speeds cause them to deform costing you speed. The aluminum tabs help to control the boat better.

I have a Solas XI impeller. The difference between the XO and XI according to the Solas identification chart is that the XO has a pitch of 14.5 to 17.5 and the XI has a pitch from 15.5 to 18.5. In other words, it is a bit taller. I doubt very seriously that any out of the box Solas that have been used are still of the same pitch that it was when it was first bought. That being said, any XO or XI impeller that you get can be bent to suit your needs, and should be bent if you are going to a higher compression. Now if you opt for porting, use the "J" impeller. PM me if you are interested in the XI.

The protec intake grate with the wings cut off are great for hole shot and rough water hook up. Check your wear ring for clearence specs after you get the "new" impeller. The old GP's are known for hard accelleration at hole shot. You should not be having this problem.

The aftermarket sponsons such as RIVA sponsons help tremendously in hard turns, but otherwise slow you down in straight line runs. For most people, the stockers work fine.

+1
    For the cavitation, check the impeller to wear ring clearance. The XO is a great impeller and same goes for the R&D Aquavein intake grate. I'm running both and I'm very happy with them.
    Like Salty said, aluminum trim tabs are a must, along with a scoop style intake grate, and a good ride plate to cure the porpoising.

Nothing like getting air, while sitting in a chair VonnerNIX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    ...I have a Solas XI impeller. The difference between the XO and XI according to the Solas identification chart is that the XO has a pitch of 14.5 to 17.5 and the XI has a pitch from 15.5 to 18.5. In other words, it is a bit taller. I doubt very seriously that any out of the box Solas that have been used are still of the same pitch that it was when it was first bought. That being said, any XO or XI impeller that you get can be bent to suit your needs, and should be bent if you are going to a higher compression. Now if you opt for porting, use the "J" impeller. PM me if you are interested in the XI...
    I have not intentions of porting or major modifications. I wouldn't even have a clue as to what would need to be done to 'bend' an impeller, or what is gained out of it. I guess I am potentiality interested in the XI, but I haven't ever seen it mentioned in GP threads, it's always been the XO.

I will start looking for the trim tabs to get those replaced as well.

Thread Information