Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gp1200r

+1

Gp1200r

Well picked up my first ever yamaha today. $4000aus with trailer.
    The guy didnt know what the hell he did to it, looks like it came with a riva ride plate intake grate and air filter. Needs a rebuild though 95-100psi all 3 cylinders, should i just do the top end? Was just wondering if it is a riva ride plate and impeller not to sure about that one and such pics provided

THanks guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0838.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	251537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0837.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	251538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0842.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	251540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0848.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	251539   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0841.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	251543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0844.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	251542  

+1
    Looks like a 1200 intake. Truth be known though, the easiest way to identify these components is to call the previous owner and ask what he put on it.

I have two concerns. If you have aftermarket flame arrestors, what were the jetting specs that the previous owner used? I would hope 110 pilots and 120 highs with a 95 gram spring and about 43psig pop off pressure. The accellerator pump should be disabled. You really should confirm this.

The other concern is that you have got 95-100psig across all three cylinders. That does not normally happen. Normally only 1 cylinder goes bad. Are you using a high quality compression tester that gives very accurate readings, or one that gives just relative readings? What I am saying is that if the gauge is off by 20 psig, then the real readings would be about 115-120 psig, and the clinders would be in the "normal" range for this craft.

+1
    Well i talked to the owner when i went to pick it up and he had no clue, the only thing he said he had the carbs tweaked up. So this may suggest that the pilots and highs have been changed to compensate for the flame arrestor.

The commpression tester we got is good quality, but my plans for now is to take it out once see what it does then get a top rebuild done to start fresh, then begin with the mods

oh and how do i see if the accelerator pump is disabled

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TDR View Post
    Well i talked to the owner when i went to pick it up and he had no clue, the only thing he said he had the carbs tweaked up. So this may suggest that the pilots and highs have been changed to compensate for the flame arrestor.

....oh and how do i see if the accelerator pump is disabled

Sounds like you have already made up your mind to do a top end rebuild. My apologies, it is your craft, and you can do as you like. I was just trying to caution you to make certain that you were not trying to fix something that did not need fixing.

If the previous owner does not know his jetting specs, it is certainly worth your while to find out when you take the top end down. This may have actually been the cause of the previous owners problems.

Most people will remove the accellerator arm to disable the pump. Some will actually remove the pump as well. Others will leave the pump in place without the arm and use the pump as a primer to help get the engine started rather than installing an aftermarket primer.

+1
    Yeah it is better i start fresh, because doing mods will be money down the drain. The previous owner didnt know much so its better to be safe then sorry.

Today i started cleaning the ski up and i will be taking the exhaust off to take a look at the carbs. Also i will disable the accelerator arm while i got it off, and last thing i took the pump shoe off and they have sealed it with silicone instead of the pump seal kit is this ok?

+1
    Does the ski run? I would run it first and check the plugs at speed to see if it is running lean or rich to verify the jetting. You can also see if it's losing compression. Some skis have been known to have pressure rebuild especially if sitting a little while as the rings free up with fuel, heat and oil. If it runs, try it.

+1
    Yes the ski does run, and we are going to take it out as a initial test but first we have to insure it and register it.

+1
    and by the way my pump shoe is hanging lower then the ride plate it is not aligned, is this a problem?

+1
    That is how they are. The aftermarket plates are flat while the stock are V like the shoe.

+1
    man pretty expensive for a low comp 1200r where did you get it from ebay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information