Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New to skis - VXR or FX HO or FX SHO

Hi
    I am new to skis, and new to this forum. I have read a number of posts similar to mine, but still have some questions so I thought I would post it (sorry if I am repeating a previously asked question).

I have rode dirt bikes for many years and after have a 4 year break from bikes I am making the switch to PWC's (rather then back to bikes). I live in Australia so will be riding mainly on the ocean and surf, but also on rivers (less frequently). I am after a fair bit of power to keep me entertained, but am not a high horse power junky always looking for more and more power - as long as its quick and got good pull them Im happy.

I was originally set on the 2011 VXR due to its lighter construction and better MPG usage (i dont need a supercharged engine if a NA engine gives plenty of power), and it seems to have a great power to weight ratio. However if I am riding a lot in the surf, will the lack of trim be a negative? I will also ride with my GF on the back at times, will the smaller hull (and no trim) be less comfortable when she is on the back?

For this reason I am also considering the 2011 FX HO and 2011 FX SHO. Not sure if the SHO is necessary for the extra cost, but given the extra weight compared to the VXR, I think i may need a supercharger to compensate? And will the ride be that much smoother in rougher conditions due to the trim and larger hull?

I will also be wake boarding and pulling a biscuit when im on the river (or ocean is flat). Im not sure how this impacts the perfromance of either skis, or which is better for wake boarding re stability and power output etc.

Thanks for your advice.

Yes if it gets choppy riding a vxr sucks. Your body takes a pounding and its jumpy.
    vxr owner

Quote Originally Posted by B-Lo View Post
    Yes if it gets choppy riding a vxr sucks. Your body takes a pounding and its jumpy.
    vxr owner
    Thanks B-Lo. Appreciate the feedback. Have you compared the ride to other Waverunner models in similar conditions by any chance? Is the rougher ride due to the smaller and higher hull, or no trim (or both)?

Also, whats the pros and cons of a supercharged engine? obviously more pull (pro) and use more fuel (con). But do they break down more? any known issues? the dealer said they are very reliable and services dont cost any more. Why wouldnt you go a supercharged one other then cost? Am i missing something?

Thanks

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    They are all good skis, but Id have to say the VXr/s is not an ocean machine....unless its flat....other than that it is a very capable ski for the rest of your usages.......I went back to a NA motor (had an Ultra 250) because I wanted a simple ski with less worries.....more moving parts = more chances of something breaking........VXs/r pulls pretty dam close to any supercharged ski, except maybe the Ultra 300....havent seen one on the water in my area all summer....but from seeing videos the pull on the 300 is better than any other stock ski out there......Approaching 75 hrs on my VXs.....2 oil changes (10 Hrs and 50 hrs)......thats about it.......FX HO may be a good middle ground for you...but I have no experience on one......

some basic differences---

FX HO--- 0-30 (mph) about 2 seconds top speed about 62-64 mph
    FX SHO --- 0-30 (mph) about 1.6 seconds top speed about 66-67 mph
    SHO uses about 50% more gas than HO--somewhere about 20 gallons an hour vs 13-14 on the HO running wide open
    from what I've read, the yamaha supercharger is one of the more reliable ones (unless you mod the ski in which case there are lots of options) but, like any supercharger or turbo, does add complexity

My wife and I went with '10 HO Cruisers and couldn't be happier--they're plenty fast for us (we mainly go on longer rides on rivers and don't do much "wave jumping".)

people who buy the SHO also love them----mabye some folks with ocean experience on both will chime in

Quote Originally Posted by jetboater View Post
    some basic differences---

FX HO--- 0-30 (mph) about 2 seconds top speed about 62-64 mph
    FX SHO --- 0-30 (mph) about 1.6 seconds top speed about 66-67 mph
    SHO uses about 50% more gas than HO--somewhere about 20 gallons an hour vs 13-14 on the HO running wide open
    from what I've read, the yamaha supercharger is one of the more reliable ones (unless you mod the ski in which case there are lots of options) but, like any supercharger or turbo, does add complexity

My wife and I went with '10 HO Cruisers and couldn't be happier--they're plenty fast for us (we mainly go on longer rides on rivers and don't do much "wave jumping".)

people who buy the SHO also love them----mabye some folks with ocean experience on both will chime in
    Thanks. Appreciate the input. Its hard for me to judge how much power will be enough or not enough (ie SHO or HO) as I cant get access to either model to ride. To give you a price comparison, Yamaha is running a promo here in Australia at the moment and the reduced prices are, including trailer (reduced rought $2500 - $3500 depending on the model):

VXR $16,490
    FX HO $17,995
    FX SHO $19,995
    and FZS $20,495

The prices are significantly more then in the US, but thats Aus prices for you.

Now I didnt inlcude the FZS in my intiial list, but there is a 2010 (the above are brand new 2011) listed for sale privately for $15,000 with 60 hours. I havent seen it in person, but photos look good (ie clean, no scratches, engine bay nice etc), and has full service history (serviced at the local Yami dealer I got the above prices at actually). But I am hesitant to buy a second hand ski given I havent used one before so not sure what to look for etc.

Does the factory warrenty transfer to the new owner, or void? Did Yamaha have 3 year factory warrenty back in 2010 or only 12 months? Is a $5,500 saving good for a 1 year old, 60 hr machine (keeping in mind it would be about a $7k saving if Yamaha wasnt running out the 2011 model). Is it generally safe to buy a 2nd hand ski if full sevrice history etc? Do you usually take it to a local Yami dealer to have a check before you purchase (do dealers do such a service for a fee)?

Thanks

+1
    If you are an Ocean Rider, get a Kawasaki Ultra.

Quote Originally Posted by snappytee View Post
    Thanks B-Lo. Appreciate the feedback. Have you compared the ride to other Waverunner models in similar conditions by any chance? Is the rougher ride due to the smaller and higher hull, or no trim (or both)?
    Both. I havent ridden a newer ski besides mine but my buddies have some older skis with trim and heavier and they are more comfortable in the rough. I ride on a fast river and lake here and it gets tough on the weekends for me when all the other boats are in the water. Im only 31 but sometimes wish I got a ski with more features instead of this one.

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    FX SHO owner, i will recommend it, for any water condition and rider.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information