+1

GTI LE, Erratic Timing, Misfires, Cuts off, Starter Engages while engine is running.

Sorry for the long post but heres a little history of the GTI. Original engine blew then my friend bought it, replaced the engine with an SBT. ( sorry but he didn't know any better but he does now. lol) The SBT engine lasted about 5hrs (Still was running premix in the tank plus injection oil) then it blew and locked up. I build the top end and was careful to mark the timing base under the flywheel so the timing would be correct later. When we took it out for a test run, it never got over about 3000 to 3500 rpms. It ran pretty good up until then and started misfiring and sometimes would cut off like you pulled the lanyard. It would start until you actually pulled the laryard and put it back on.
    The problems got worse from there. Went back to the shop to verify ignition timing. What was they thinking when designed the ignition system for this thing? Timing sets at 6000 rpm COLD? and I have a new top end that I'm fixing to have to rev to 6000 COLD? Ok, so I try and set the timing with no luck. It simply wont respond. I moved the base plate under the flywheel 3 times. Timing is always very close to the mark it supposed to be on at 6000 rpm and its running at 1500 rpm. I ended up cutting a slot in the PTO cover to view the timing marks. The slot is about 3 inches in length and the TDC mark is no where in site when its running at idle. I used a dial indicator to make the timing marks. I marked one for each cylinder TDC and high speed timing mark. I even checked the crank to see if it was twisted. TDC on one cylinder is BDC on the other. If its twisted, its twisted between the flywheel and the mag cylinder's crank pin.
    At times(at idle) the starter will engage like you pressed the start button which should be the stop button when the engine is running.
    I need lots of opinions and inputs!
    Thanks!

+1
    Oh, forgot to mention the fact that if the lanyard is left on, you get 4 beeps about every 8 seconds or so. I have never heard one do this before. This only happens when its not running.
    Also, I have checked every connection in the engine compartment and all of the pins are clean. However, I have had different results when I unplug the grey connector at the rear electrical box but haven't found any broke wire as of yet.

+1
    I finally got it! I found a broke wire in the wire harness along with some bad connections inside the connectors. I'm glad it wasn't a bad MPEM.

Thread Information