1996 polaris sl780 no spark Everything I have tested is good

Hey boys. I have a 1996 polaris sl780. haven't ran it for a few years and I just replaced the cdi. But I'm not getting a spark. I have tested everything I know to. It has power on the mfd and it will try to crank over just no spark. I have made sure my coils are wired right and reading the correct ohms. I tried unplugging the kill switch wire (black/yellow). and I put in a new stater. All my grounds are good and I'm reading 12 volts on the battery. and have tested every other thing i found on these forums. It would seem like it is the cdi, right? How do i test my new yet used one? or where can i get a known good one? Thanks in advance for the help guys. Us girls aren't to good with these things but ya'lls forums are awesome.

+1
    Could be the CDI. I'd have to look in the manual but I'm not sure of ways to test leads in the CDI.

Remove the spark plugs. With the battery connected, set your multimeter to OHMS, place one on the battery (-) terminal and the other directly on any the spark plug mounting holes. Does this read 0 ohms or is it some value about 0? If it's anything above 0, you have a grounding issue which can cause spark issues.

KJ

Hey thanks for the response! I tried what you said and i'm getting 0 ohms... I checked all my grounds and they are good and tight and clean. and I read most of the manual and found nothing to test the cdi. I'm really thinkin that could be my problem but i need a "known" good one to test it. Anything else i should test? Thanks!!!!
    -Sarah

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the hulk.

Seems like you 2 are in the same boat so far. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...and-seems-good

Follow the same replies as he, and where are you located?

Ya, i have been following his posts. I'm in colorado springs, colorado. And from what I found Alot of people have the exact same issue and it seems to always be that damn cdi.

+1
    Don't know of any members in Col.

What happened to make you replace the CDI in the first place? They don't normally "go bad" without an incident.

Melted ground wire? Install battery cables wrong? magneto fail? water in elec box?

If you can find a good 750 CDI, it can be used for testing purposes.

oh darn. And A retarded ex of mine jumped and the battery wrong from a car which is dump or hooked the new battery up wrong or something. But a shop re did the wiring in the box and then said it was the stater so i bought a new one for them to put in and after that they said it was the cdi. The shop guys were idiots so i just took it back put in a new cdi and still no spark put i do get power mfd. And i have been reading yalls posts for weeks and have tested everything and retested and get good results. Thanks so much again for all your help

+1
    OK, now we're getting somewhere.

I do not have a 780 CDI to offer you, but what i can do is test one or both of the CDI's you do have. That way you will know if it's the CDI's or something else?

Thread Information