Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Polaris Genesis FFI won't go over 4000 rpm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020326.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	251618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020329.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	251619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020330.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	251620Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020331.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	251621 There are no codes (so says the dealer), no "reverse" reading on dash, no flahing light on dash, plugs are new(spark at all three plugs), fuel pump is working, compression is 125,125 and 130, injectors are cleaned (not positive they are firing properly though), When I turned it over the fuel was dribling out and not spraying from either injector.
    When I have taken it out each weekend(after cleaning the plugs) it will idle very rough and stall all of the way out of the marina, when I give it a little gas I have been able to get it up to 25-30 mph at 5000 rpm for around 5 seconds and then it drops to 3500rpm. If I slowly apply throttle I can get up to 4000rpm about 8mph but any more throttle after that it will just start building up smoke behind me.
    The last time I took it out after I replaced 2 collapsed fuel lines between the front and center injector(intake and return lines both compressed just behind the front injector and re-attached the fuel regulator that I found in the bottom of the fuel tank) was for only 2 mins and the plugs and top of each piston are heavily carbon'd up...Any ideas?
    The wonderful thing about this project is that I am learning alot about this machine.
    Last edited by Rick240; 07-06-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Welcome to the Hulk. Could be a few causes since it is fuel injected. As for the 3500 RPM limit, that is the RPM limit for SLOW mode and the EMM initiates this over a 5 second period. This will activate for the following: Overheating Engine Cooling System, Overheating EMM Condition, Alternator Output Exceeds 45 Volts. When this mode is active the EMM will interrupt the firing and the engine will run poorly. Check the following: Temp sensor should read around 985-1050 Ohms. Check the cooling lines going to the EMM and make sure they are not blocked. Do you get any warnings at all on the MFI?

Thank you jackofalltrades. I will check your suggestions later today. I forgot to mention that it revs fine on the trailer, only under load is the issue happening. No warnings at all on the mfi, I had the dealer plug his laptop into the emm and he said there were no codes but did program the injectors because they were not being recognized. thx, rick

No warnings ok. First check the fuel pressure because that engine in running way lean from the looks of the pictures you posted. Thats why you got all the black on the pistons and plugs. Check it at the schrader valve on the fuel line. Must have at least 20 PSI. If not, the pressure regulator has likely fell off into the tank but thats an easy fix. You can verify this by pinching off the return line going back to the tank and the pressure should rise into the 30's.

Fuel pressure is 0 while idling, 48 psi with hose clamped between shrader valve and tank. I re-attached the old regulator Using the "cotter pin" method described on this site and the regulator is shot, same readings as before. While in the fuel tank I checked the fuel filters for debris. I will try the inline Kawasaki (16162-3701) regulator next.
    Found the steel plate that the emm is mounted to to be touching the positive battery terminal and it was "live", charged the battery while I was in there. Checked all fuel, coolant,oil, exhaust and air hoses/lines and and clear of obstructions. The machine idles well now but the ultimate test will be in the water under load. This site is a wealth of knowledge and I thank you all for participating however this seems to be a common problem with these machines and I haven't seen one person who has this problem post what there fix was??:- Thanks jackofalltrades for your quick response. I'll let you know if this works, Rick

The Kawasaki inline fuel regulator is on back order so that will have to wait. Every dealer (especially former polaris dealers) I have talked to about the 2000 polaris genesis ffi says to dump it. This may be a matter of just old school thinking, but I am stubborn and enjoy a challenge. Or i'm just stupid, one of those applies. I have reviewed the service manual and I will check the stator, flywheel and crank position next. Any other input would be appreciated. Thanks

Since you got no fuel pressure I would wait until you get a regulator and see if it runs after that. Why is the old one "shot"?

I say the old one is "shot" because it is not holding pressure. I will replace the tps after that.

keep us posted. we have a 2000 and 1999 polaris genesis. the 1999 is frozen but 2000 runs fine. wish polaris still made pwc. they are great jet skis, very solid and stable

If you want to test the fuel pressure theory, go get a set of these and partially clamp the return line. They are adjustable and should let you clamp it while still allowing a little return flow. Take it for a quick spin with one clamped on. It'll at least tell you if you're chasing the right problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information