Rocket Man

Low and High Hours on a Ski

How about a new thread to find the low and high hours on members skis. I just bought an 00 Virage with 7.0 hours on the clock. Based on cosmetic condition, engine appearance, etc., I believe it to be accurate. The owners apparrently divorced right after buying it and the lady left it parked alongside her garage with a cover for the past 10 years. She finally drug it out last year and it wouldn't start. Took it to a shop where they traced it to no spark. She didn't want to spend anything on it, so they stopped troubleshooting and it sat outside behind the shop for a year before she decided to sell. In the interim, its jet drive bolts, spark arrestor, and starter soleniod were cannibalized. I ran a compression test and it registered 155 psi on both cylinders. Later I remembered that I hadn't opened the throttle during the test, so will re-test to see if it makes any difference. It's not going to stay a low hour machine for long, but for now, can anyone beat 7.0 hours?

+1
    Doubt it can be beaten, I can do 7 hours in a weekend. Comp numbers are good, keep in mind that a ski with very low hours can be a bad thing as well. I would hit it with fogging oil and crank the engine well to lubricate the pistons and rings before trying to start it. You may find that the engine has already been heavily fogged, which would push up your comp numbers considerably as well.

+1
    Hopefully the engine was fogged or had oil added to it years ago, otherwise there could be rust spots on the crank bearings which means it will run until the bearings grind themselves up.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    my sl1050 had 1.5 hours on it when i bought it from a guy out of his warehouse of fountain style boats,said his daughter rode it for a while then bashed it into a dock,she wouldn't ride it again,only scuffed it a little on the hood.gave 3500 for it on a super nice trailer in 2000.drained the gas and hauled ass

Rocket Man
    My guess is it's got more than that on it now. The second half of the thread asked for high hours.....probably should have specified on an original engine and drivetrain.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    think i had 120 on it when i sold it 2 years later.mt triple piped virage just went 212 hours on a stock motor turning 7300 rpm,till lost a crank bearing.my recently aquired running 2000 virage tx had 30 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by gtcole View Post
    How about a new thread to find the low and high hours on members skis. I just bought an 00 Virage with 7.0 hours on the clock. Based on cosmetic condition, engine appearance, etc., I believe it to be accurate. The owners apparrently divorced right after buying it and the lady left it parked alongside her garage with a cover for the past 10 years. She finally drug it out last year and it wouldn't start. Took it to a shop where they traced it to no spark. She didn't want to spend anything on it, so they stopped troubleshooting and it sat outside behind the shop for a year before she decided to sell. In the interim, its jet drive bolts, spark arrestor, and starter soleniod were cannibalized. I ran a compression test and it registered 155 psi on both cylinders. Later I remembered that I hadn't opened the throttle during the test, so will re-test to see if it makes any difference. It's not going to stay a low hour machine for long, but for now, can anyone beat 7.0 hours?
    If the machine was left with a dead battery in it then there is no telling how many hours are really one the ski as this can make the MFI do crazy things with the hour count.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    how about a 2000 virage 800 carbed with 525 hours showing on the meter. it's an ex rental and I believe the hours to be true.

Thread Information