tach question on a 96 750 ssxi

I have a 96 750 SS Xi runs great, few minor issues trying to figure out and deal with one of which is the tach does not work. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what process I need to go thru to test the tach and/or the wiring I need to track down to possibly get it working. The other issue is the trim doesn't work and that may or may not be related but I thought I would wait on that issue til winter so I could pull the motor to access the trim motor and investigate if it is locked/working or not, but like I said it might be related so any and all help is appreciated, Thanks in advance

+1
    Welcome aboard, Mack!

My guess is that the plug-in connector for the tach is corroded. I've seen several that were. If you need a tach, I've got one for an STS, which might be the same (I'll have to check).

Could also be corrosion on the connectors for the trim, but I'd bet the box has had water in it. That's a bigger problem. Open the box and take a look. Getting the cover O-ring seal back on is a pain, but you can use a putty knife to work it in as you put the box together. There should be a bellows-type rubber seal on the trim cable at the back of the 'Ski. Make sure it's there and you might pack it with grease.

All the connectors are pretty clean took those apart first, did however manage to get a look into the trim motor housing and its toast, so when winter gets here will be pulling the motor and replacing the whole unit because the nipple that the cable screws into is broken .Still haven't figured out the tach though. And thank you for the welcome aboard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTx View Post
    did however manage to get a look into the trim motor housing and its toast, so when winter gets here will be pulling the motor and replacing the whole unit because the nipple that the cable screws into is broken
    Let me know before you toss it, it might be salvageable.

Thread Information