New 750 zxi what to watch out for

Just picked up a new to me 1997 750 ZXI and am wondering what kind of things to look out for. I have a oil block off kit that came with it but have yet to put it on because I haven't really figured that out yet. What other kind of things should I be looking for? What's the cheapest place to buy parts for this? I have not rode it yet but it starts right up and everything seems to work, just curious as to what I should be checking out before I take it for a spin. Also anyone have a link for a PDF manual?

+1
    Welcome aboard, Slurp!

The oil injection works fine, but you MUST check/replace the oil lines with polyurethane hose and secure them properly (stainless steel safety wire works well).

The ZXi's had a lot of trouble with the electric trim. Make sure there is a bellows-type rubber boot on the trim cable at the back of the 'Ski to keep water out. You might even pack some waterproof grease inside it. I've seen several trim boxes that had leaky (improperly installed) O-rings, so you might open the box up and inspect it. I use a putty knife to work the seal back in the groove while I re-assemble it.

If the engine has a crankcase drain valve, I'd recommend removing it. You'll have to remove the engine to do this. If there is a knob mounted on the exhaust manifold, that's it. Many have been removed already. If the valve starts to leak, the engine runs lean and burns up.

Why the need to replace the lines with poly? I did read about the crankcase drain and this one does have it, might have to do that this winter. Are there any zerts I need to grease? Still looking for a cheap place for OEM parts. I am missing the key for it how do I know which one to get?

how do I go about hooking up water to this so I can run it on the trailer?

+1
    There are no zerk fittings to grease.

There is a brass fitting on the cylinder head that has a black hose going to the exhaust. It also has a black rubber plug with a hose clamp. Remove the hose clamp and slide on a 5/8" garden hose to supply cooling water while running on the hose.

Note: DO NOT RUN THE WATER UNLESS THE ENGINE IS RUNNING! RUNNING THE WATER WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING CAN CAUSE MAJOR ENGINE DAMAGE! Start the engine, turn on the water. Turn off the water, then turn off the engine. You can safely run the engine for about 15 seconds without water running.

The original oil lines can get brittle and split. Polyurethane hose should last you a decade. It's better to secure the hose with stainless steel safety wire than the original spring clamps.

Well i got to take it to the river for a shakedown run this weekend and mechanically everything seems to check out OK. However I was extremely dissappointed in the acceleration, I have spent plenty of time on my buddies same year 900 zxi and it doesn't even come close. Top end speed seems to be pretty close to the same but it has no bottom end whatsoever. The guy I had purchased it from had put a aftermarket impellor in it, could this be the problem? I do have the stocker that I am thinking about putting back in as a comparison but can't seem to find any info on how to do this. The good news is with the aftermarket ride plate and intake grate this thing handles way better than the 900 I'm used to. I also noticed at idle it runs rough, the whole ski would shake?

+1
    Well, the 900 is rated at 120 HP, the 750 is about 85. The 900 is almost 50% more powerful.

The impeller could be a problem, if it's pitched for a modified engine and the engine is stock. Does it rev up but just not accelerate? Could be cavitation. The pump could be sucking air, or there might be too much clearance between the impeller and housing.

The engine is definitely revving up to peak rpm its just not accelerating like I'm thinking it should. Which leads me to believe I should try swapping the original impelled back in and give it a try. Also it has an R & D ride plate and intake grate, would either of these lead to cavitation issues?

Well I went out and looked and the ride plate deny seem to be sealed, should it be? Also the pump itself doesn't seem to be very well sealed against the hull. Now if I can just figure out how to get it off of there.

+1
    What do the impeller blades look like? If they're bent, nicked, etc. that could cause your problem. If it's in good shape, you might put some sealant around the area where the pump mates to the hull. Smooth it with your finger so the water flows smoothly over it.

Thread Information