Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about buying a Sea-Doo GTS 130

I had wrote my original in a diffrent section but now that I have narrowed my choices down to 2 different PWC I thought Id ask the question here. IM looking at buying a Sea-Doo Gts 130 or a Yamaha. Im leaning towards the Sea-Doo

Here was my original message. Tell me if you think the Sea-Doo GTS 130 will suit my needs.

First off I just wanted to say that this site has more info on PWC than most others. Everyone seems pretty cool and informative. Ive been creeping around for a week but yesterday decided to join.

I
    wasn't really sure what section to ask these few questions I have. I didnt want to put the question in one of brand specific PWC sections.

Basically I am looking for the following in a PWC. Id like to hear your thoughts and what you all recommended.

IM looking for a Pwc that I can take in the river and ocean. Im not looking to learn or do tricks. Just something to cruise around. Looking for a nice amount of storage space (gas tanks, a tent) for longer day trips and overnight trips. Something stable enough for possibly going to to Bimini.

Looking for 2008 and up. Also most of my riding will be in brackish and in saltwater. Closed or Open loop better for Saltwater?

Thank you very much for any input

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    If you plan on carrying a lot you may want one of the more powerful skis, maybe the 155. I would definitely test drive the different models and power levels.

Closed loop is absolutely better for saltwater - no salt water going through the motor itself, just the exhaust. This is a HUGE plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Northface25 View Post
    I had wrote my original in a diffrent section but now that I have narrowed my choices down to 2 different PWC I thought Id ask the question here. IM looking at buying a Sea-Doo Gts 130 or a Yamaha. Im leaning towards the Sea-Doo

Here was my original message. Tell me if you think the Sea-Doo GTS 130 will suit my needs.

First off I just wanted to say that this site has more info on PWC than most others. Everyone seems pretty cool and informative. Ive been creeping around for a week but yesterday decided to join.

I
    wasn't really sure what section to ask these few questions I have. I didnt want to put the question in one of brand specific PWC sections.

Basically I am looking for the following in a PWC. Id like to hear your thoughts and what you all recommended.

IM looking for a Pwc that I can take in the river and ocean. Im not looking to learn or do tricks. Just something to cruise around. Looking for a nice amount of storage space (gas tanks, a tent) for longer day trips and overnight trips. Something stable enough for possibly going to to Bimini.

Looking for 2008 and up. Also most of my riding will be in brackish and in saltwater. Closed or Open loop better for Saltwater?

Thank you very much for any input
    I love my GTS 130. Did 56mph bone stock and the acceleration is very impressive for 130hp. I raced a GTI 155 and im not exactly convinced that it has 25 more hp to be honest.

Reasons i went with the GTS instead of a yami VX

1. Sea-doo has 20 more hp
    2. Sea-doo has more torque due to it being 1500cc vs 1100cc (better acceleration)
    3. Sea-doo is just plain sexy with the new jagged looking redesign
    4. WAY more storage on the sea-doo

+1
    I have ridden both a good amount, so I feel I can offer a fair opinion. I put 65 hours on a Yamaha VX Sport. The Yamaha is simply terrible. It's very front heavy and it tends to plow through the water as opposed to gliding over the top of water. It's handling and cornering are absolutely horrible. It's not playful and just not very fun to ride. Unless you're looking for the cheapest ski possible, just to use to get from point A to point B, steer far away from the Yamaha VX Pig. You will spend most of your time on it idling around watching other skis and wishing you could have as much fun.

Go with the GTS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
    I have ridden both a good amount, so I feel I can offer a fair opinion. I put 65 hours on a Yamaha VX Sport. The Yamaha is simply terrible. It's very front heavy and it tends to plow through the water as opposed to gliding over the top of water. It's handling and cornering are absolutely horrible. It's not playful and just not very fun to ride. Unless you're looking for the cheapest ski possible, just to use to get from point A to point B, steer far away from the Yamaha VX Pig. You will spend most of your time on it idling around watching other skis and wishing you could have as much fun.

Go with the GTS.
    I value your opinion TheEngineer on the ride and thank you Carguy89 for your input on the closed loop question.

Also would you would you say that the GTS is stable in the ocean? and good for a trip one day to Bimini? Ive been trying to figure out the MPG or the HPG on a GTS 130, It doesnt seem to say on the website. TheEngineer, do you have any idea how many hours you get out of a 15.1 tank on a GTS? How does it rank among other PWC in its class as far as MPG or HPG.

Thanks guys for your fast response.

+1
    I value your opinion TheEngineer on the ride and thank you Carguy89 for your input on the closed loop question.

Also would you would you say that the GTS is stable in the ocean? and good for a trip one day to Bimini? Ive been trying to figure out the MPG or the HPG on a GTS 130, It doesnt seem to say on the website. TheEngineer, do you have any idea how many hours you get out of a 15.1 tank on a GTS? How does it rank among other PWC in its class as far as MPG or HPG.

Thanks guys for your fast response.
    Not sure what the MPG's will be...But you definitely won't have any trouble making it to Bimini. You'll probably make it there with just under a half tank left, if the water conditions are good. The hull is definitely stable and it should make for a great ocean cruising ski. As far as comparing to other PWC in it's class for MPGs...Yamaha's website claims that their VX gets superior gas mileage. But after 65 hours of Yamha experience, I think they should be sued for false advertising. The VX Sport barely got better mileage than my supercharged RXT 215. Supercharged with a 105 more HP and and the Sport would use maybe a half gallon less fuel on the same distance. So I don't know where they get their advertising data, but it's definitely BS.

+1
    Consider the little extra for the GTI, reverse is a useful thing to have...

Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    Consider the little extra for the GTI, reverse is a useful thing to have...
    I thought the GTS had reverse?

Also on average how much can one expect to pay for maintenance, tune-ups etc. a year on a Sea-doo? I guess flushing it after every use would be the most important thing to do, right?

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    I thought the GTS had reverse?

Also on average how much can one expect to pay for maintenance, tune-ups etc. a year on a Sea-doo? I guess flushing it after every use would be the most important thing to do, right?
    Outside of winterizing there is very little maintenance. Change plugs once a year, oil change whenever you feel like it...depending on use, once a year or every 25 hours. That's basically it besides flushing it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    Outside of winterizing there is very little maintenance. Change plugs once a year, oil change whenever you feel like it...depending on use, once a year or every 25 hours. That's basically it besides flushing it.
    +1 Just keep the ski clean, wash after every salt water ride, and do the oil changes yourself. You'll safe a ton of cash doing yourself as opposed to dropping $300 at the dealership for a plug and oil change. Other than that, with the N/A models there's not much else to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information