Banned User
    +1

Limp mode question

Today my SL 900 would intermittently go into limp mode. I had no warnings on the display. I pulled up on shore, opened the electrical box and disconnected the gray CDI wire from the board. The problem seems to have gone away. I'm assuming its the LR module that controls the limp mode? Am I correct in this assumption. I had full fuel, full oil, and like I mentioned no warnings on the display. Although like an idiot, when I closed up the electrical box, I pinched the wire from the overheat sensor and I was getting a hot signal on the ride back to the ramp.. It showed hot even a half hour after shutting off the engine by turning on the MFD. As soon as I loosened the screws for the electrical box, the hot signal went away.......I like to think I am pretty good with these things, but I guess we all do stupid things.

+1
    Yes,the '96 900 and SLTX were the only Domestic to use the LR 54 for the "warning circuits" but only temp and fuel (oil warning went dirrectly to MFD)
    And the weird thing,it originally was not an RPM limiter,but a "timing retard" to 8 deg,and that would only be with the "old style" CDI.
    With the updated CDI it is now limp mode.

The temp still works the same way (ground signal when Hot")
    Some how the LR54 would need to read the resistance of the fuel signal and at some level decide to ground the grey wire,but originaly just to reduce timing.

I'd disconnect the pink wire from the LR ,tape it up and leave it out of the circuit.

Also in 97 for the 1050's,they used a diode on the term board for temp wire circuit-that might have been to fix some kind of false signal or feedback problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Today my SL 900 would intermittently go into limp mode. I had no warnings on the display. I pulled up on shore, opened the electrical box and disconnected the gray CDI wire from the board. The problem seems to have gone away. I'm assuming its the LR module that controls the limp mode? Am I correct in this assumption. I had full fuel, full oil, and like I mentioned no warnings on the display. Although like an idiot, when I closed up the electrical box, I pinched the wire from the overheat sensor and I was getting a hot signal on the ride back to the ramp.. It showed hot even a half hour after shutting off the engine by turning on the MFD. As soon as I loosened the screws for the electrical box, the hot signal went away.......I like to think I am pretty good with these things, but I guess we all do stupid things.
    You have the update right? Glad to let you figure all the bugs out before I install my update kit.

Thread Information