Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 15f Isn't As Fast As I Thought It Would Be... mods or trade?

I just bought a 2011 15F, 1 hour on her currently... I'm coming from a strictly 2 stroke background. While I must admit I love the power down low and the deep rumble, I thought it would be faster and have more oomph in the mid range. (probably lacking the 2 stroke "hit" that I'm used to)

It could also be that it's so smooth and linear, not sure. Anywho, mod it or trade it? I didn't buy a 300 because I live on a lake and want to ride almost everyday... toting gas for that pig will get annoying, not to mention the cost. I'm not so interested in top speed, I just want it to rip my freakin arms off coming out of a turn.

I took one look at the airbox on the 15f and it looks restrictive as hell. Do mods really make that big of a difference or am I just wasting my time?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    How much do you want to spend? The 15f is a blast to ride and the stx hull hooks great with a few mods.

More than a grand or two and it wouldn't really make sense... Moving to a different platform or SC would be more cost effective.

I was thinking along the lines of the riva rpm kit, or maybe a different intake setup like the rear box one in another thread... Just didn't know if it makes that much difference as the only measurement listed is "+5mph." That doesn't really give me any idea if it helps rocket out of turns or has more punch really.

Thanks for any advice guys.

danielsville ga
    the rpm kit main item is the rd ride plate which will gain you a couple mph on top. you can do a intake kit real cheap on your own but as far as you wanting it to rip your arms with a few bolt ons its not going to happen.

I used to think my ultra 150's were " fast " well not having ridden one in a couple of years and going from the 150, to the 250 to the 300, there is absolutely nothing fast about a 2-stroke u-150 compared to the new 4 strokes. That being said, there is nothing you could do to get arm ripping acceleration from a 15F aside from putting a turbo or SC on it, they are a reliable fuel effecient semi-fun ski, you want arm ripping the 300 is the way to go, thing is an animal.

Seems to me if you only have one hour on the ski, you really don't want to be going full throttle out of the turns. The owners manual recommends a five hour break in not going more than 3/4 throttle.

Fair enough... I'm not really interested in a 100gal gas caddy, so it sounds like I should just enjoy it and play around with a few bolt ons. Definitely interested in getting rid of the plowing in the turns at least, and some sort of cold air intake if applicable.

@perk- I break my stuff in hard and seat the rings properly.

Random Lake WI
    Once you get this thing past its 5hrs, get an R&D ride plate, Solas 13/19, I also modified the existing airbox, it is very restrictive in stock form, this will give you an easy 5mph top end increase & while it may not rip your arms off, it will definately get your attention compared to stock. My acceleration from 50-60 is also much quicker.

Whats the better ride plate for this ski, R&D or shreadmaster?

down under
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKJETT View Post
    Whats the better ride plate for this ski, R&D or shreadmaster?
    R&D slightly faster, shredmaster actually turns though. Unless they have changed them wich I'm told they have, the shredmaster requires grinding to get it to fit true. I prefer the shredmaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information