One weak spark while cranking

Hi Everyone,

I have had a 94 SL 750 for three years now. Long story on why I am just getting it going now. If you don't care about the story, scroll to the bottom for my problem.

When I first got it, a buddy of mine got it for a six pack of Corona. The previous owner was clueless and said it wouldn't crank over. I fixed it for my friend by taking the bendix apart and cleaning it because it was corroded stuck. Water definately got in there and sat for a while. I tested compression (perfect) and cleaned the carbs and fuel tank and I brought it back to him and we ran it. Ran like a champ. He left it in the water that night and the next day it was on the bottom at his dock. He called me up and I helped him get it out. He said he didn't want to deal with the thing, so he gave it to me for nothing.
    I took it home and did the 3 outlet fuel pump and put a new trim motor on. Then I tried to get it registered with no luck because the guy my friend got it from was in Iraq and here in New Jersey it's IMPOSSIBLE to get anything done at motor vehicles without all your ducks in line. So I parked it and covered it. It sat until this June, when the previous owner came home and I was able to get it registered. So I cleaned the carbs and tank once again and started to investigate the leaking problem. I filled the inside hull with water and noticed that water was leaking from three areas. One, the front hull where the top and bottom meet, so I sealed this from the inside. Two, where the drain outlet from the handlebar area goes out, it wasn't sealed properly, so I did it right. Three, was water coming from the intake at the rear of the pump for the cooling hoses and I traced it back to a pinhole rub-thru near the rear exaust pipe mount. I replaced this hose and figured everything was good, so I backed it in the lake on the trailer and started it up and I still had a leak from the exaust manifold to pipe gasket. I replaced the gasket and now I have the problem that I never had before. It always had spark and ran perfect. I had it running great numerous times testing on the trailer in the lake and with the hose in my shop over the last two months, it's just since I replaced the exaust pipe gasket that I now have ONE spark.

It only will produce ONE spark each time I crank it. If I stop cranking and crank again, ONE spark then nothing. The battery is brand new and I have minimum of 11.7 volts while cranking. What could be doing this? Any clues on where to start checking with the tester?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by reelfun36 View Post
    ....94 SL 750....bendix was corroded stuck. Water definately got in there and sat for a while. .....now I have the problem that I never had before. It always had spark and ran perfect. I had it running great numerous times testing on the trailer in the lake and with the hose in my shop over the last two months, it's just since I replaced the exaust pipe gasket that I now have ONE spark.

It only will produce ONE spark each time I crank it. If I stop cranking and crank again, ONE spark then nothing. The battery is brand new and I have minimum of 11.7 volts while cranking. What could be doing this? Any clues on where to start checking with the tester?
    My guess is corrosion finally got the best of the stator. That fact that it happened after the gasket replacement is more coincidence than anything else. But, when you said you filled the hull with water, does that mean the engine was in there when you did this? If so, then I would definitely say it's a wet/corroded stator.

Do a search for stator Ohm test or stator specs and you'll find which wires to probe in the ebox to test the stator condition.

KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Is the lanyard installed?

Is the kill switch grounding out?

OK, got it figured out. The gasket in the electrical box was missing a half inch. Looks like the previous owner had cut it to get it off so they didn't have to disconnect all the wires from the two halves. So, when I filled the hull with water to identify the leaks, it filled up to just below the top half. Good thing it had a REAL GOOD coating of di-electric grease in there because that water sat in there for at least two weeks while I was busy with other stuff. All the electrical connections were good, but some of the rivets holding the electrical connectors down were corroded, along with the rivet holding the red/purple wire next to the fuse. I used wire dryer and electrical cleaner, then blew it out with compressed air. Then I re-riveted the bad ones back to the plate, coated all the connections with a brush and some di-electric grease, and used gasket sealer to fill the gap and I'm back in business. Had it out on Greenwood Lake for a couple hours and it rocks. Too bad it's time to start getting the snowmobiles ready. There's always next year...

As always, this site has been a huge help. Thanks everyone for the time put in here!

Thread Information