+1

Driveshaft removal 15f

Can't seem to find an answer in all these posts, I may have an issue with the driveshaft bearing, the one right behind the motor in the 4 bolt housing. Does the engine have to be removed to get the driveshaft out, or is it possible to remove the motor mount nuts & exhaust pipe to muffler connector & lift the motor high enough to get it out with out disconnecting all the wires & hoses?

It's easiest to just remove the motor. You have to remove the manifolds and disconnect everything to get the motor up high enough to remove the driveshaft, so at that point you might as well get it out of your way and completely remove it.

+1
    Thanks for the info, if that's the case I will be paying the dealer to do it, thats a bigger job than I can handle, I just wanted to make sure, the dealer did say the motor had to be removed.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    It's easiest to just remove the motor. You have to remove the manifolds and disconnect everything to get the motor up high enough to remove the driveshaft, so at that point you might as well get it out of your way and completely remove it.
    well I wouldn't pullthe motor..adds time and some risk of problems. If you just lift the motor up a bit I strongly suggest you block it with some 2x4's before trying to pull the shaft off. Don't trust your hands to a chain hoist.

getting the motor completely out and onto a stand isn't as easy as it sounds.

Dealers shops of course will pull the motor out as that is what the shop manager says has to be done. ( he donesn't want to be paying any workmans comp claims.

heck the manauls also say you have to remove the engine on an ultra 150 to change the starter motor.

+1
    That is what I was hoping, I am looking at this & don't want to deal with manifolds & gaskets, these motors are so much more complicated that my old 2 strokes & don't want to make a mistake that costs thousands to repair. To me once I removed the air box the driveshaft will move forward & backward an inch or so, it looks like you could remove the motor mount nuts, exhaust pipe coupler, then lift motor a bit to disconnect from driveshaft/engine couple, the driveshaft has a spot for a wrench which should be used to remove the aluminum coupler, then lift the engine till the manifold touch the hull that should give enough clearance to slide driveshaft out without coupler, if its possible to remove the coupler with hand toosl & a little heat in the hull. I guess you are right about those manuals, it says to remove the ride plate to get pump out, all I did what remove the boarding step & pulled it right out much easier. I think it even says to remove the ground cable when servicing the pump! This site is very valuable to get advise from members who have tried all these things...........thanks to all.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    be prepared to remove the shaft and couple as a whole, you might not be able to wrangle them apart in the hull. when you set up your hoist see if you can bias to lift the read up about 15 degrees more..that might give you enough space to get the shaft out. Don't forget the blocks! Protect your fingers!

I did it on an ultra 150 and did not have to pull the engine out..just up about 6 inches front 8 inches back was enough to get the shaft out and replace the thru hull bearing

Thread Information