Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 VXS - my 10hr review

The power of this thing is awesome compared to my 2000 ski doo 951 gtx. Almost can't pin it all the way pulling guys out of the water on a ski or you'll yank it right out of their hands.
    Barefooted behind it for the first time last night (haven't done it in a couple of years) but was able to pull 44/45mph (speedo - yes i know it is out) fine. My 951 just didn't have enough full out with the resistance with my 220 fat ass.

Only downside of the ski IMO:
    1. Don't really like the color that much - but had to go with the VXS for the seat (always taking little ones with me for rides on the front and back)
    2. Not the greatest in rough water
    3. Spray control could be improved when hitting my chop/waves. Not going to like it much in October....
    4. Reverse lever could be improved - hard to find the nice "neutral spot".
    5. Learner mode - another button on dash as I'm sure one say the battery will go on me - and I will be stuck at 35mph...
    6. Would like an optional pop up ski bar - like ski doo wake edition. Can't find a company who makes one?

No real need for the boarding ladder - I climbed on the back three times without issue yesterday.

Positives:
    1. Yamaha reliability, regular fuel, noise. Not have to worry about rebuilds every 100 hrs....
    2. Power - speedo flashes 70mph (haven't GPS'd and probably never will - as it's dam fast for our small lake)
    3. Very fun to drive aggressive - almost wants to jump out of the water!
    4. towing power is more than I will ever need (better than my old 135 hp outboard ski boat)
    5. The learner mode is great for me and my 7 year old daughter. Way too young to drive on her own- but the power reduction/rpm is very tame for people learning to ride. She wants to drive all the time.
    6. Value for $ is pretty dam good - these can be picked up for under $9500 (plus tax) in Ohio.
    My 2 cents
    Eric

+1
    Plus you're getting great fuel economy for that much power!
    Sounds like you chose wisely, enjoy.

I second almost everything you said. The lever I am ok with but you are right finding the sweet spot takes some fiddling every time. I get soaked on mine and the chop sucks witht his thing. Other than that no complaints at all!

In Dogs We Trust All Others Get Searched
    From East Texas-transplanted in Shreveport,Bossier City
    Thanks for the review,
    I thought it didn't have a neutral?

There is no "neutral" but you can fiddle between forward and reverse to get close.

I brought the ski home last night from the cottage and went for a 1.5hr run on lake Huron with a 2009 215 wake - 65hrs.
    There were some crazy rollers (I'm not very experienced at big water). The VXS is now named "hopper". The ski was spending 25% of it's time entirely out of the water - while the 215 would just plow through/rear still in @45mph or so. If this thing had a sc in this hull - wouldn't last long IMO.
    Yamaha should supply some inner calf padding as I think I have worn most of my hair off of my legs there (and some bruising I suspect). The vrx seat would have sucked last night - as others have mentioned - as your standing up - but ski is bouncing all over and a big hump kicking your ass wouldn't be nice.
    The VXS is a ton of more fun on playing/turning as you can swamp the nose much much easier on this than the 215. I had my first "get off last night" - safety lanyard worked....
    Foot padding/grip much better on the yamaha(you need it!) compared to the flat padding of the ski doo.

We lined up a couple of times and the VXS has more out of the he - but with even some small chop - ski would skip and the 215 would walk away. I could only pull 64mph speedo at best in those conditions.
    For 1.5 hrs ran 22l of fuel =$29. the 215 ran 29l of premium = $39.
    Add up the cheaper up front cost, fuel usage for 100hrs and sc rebuilds ever 100 hrs - should be a winner long term for me!

very happy - but alot of work riding this ski in bigger water compared to the 215 for example. Small lake, river hard to beat!

I have new respect for anyone who races this ski in big water (ie the young kid who road it and one his class earlier this year).

Got out for another 2.5'hr ride up the coast (lake Huron) up to south Hampton and back to Kincardine (35-40 miles each way).
    Waves were 3-4 feet - VXS spent half the time in the air again.... My lower back was getting beat up standing -'and you couldn't sit.
    Switched with the 215 for a good half hour - and honestly the ski (vxs) isn't as bad as I thought it was - more poor rider in my case. My buddy is an ex moto cross pro racer (Canada)- and is use to standing up for hours on end. I couldn't keep up with him in the chop on either machine (though not as bad when we switched) Going to try a kidney belt next time....
    Don't think I had it over 45mph. Didn't see another boat on the lake....

I have a VXR with around 15 hrs now and on calm water you can pull away from that 215,but it cannot take chop at all as you well know..I have raced and beat an rxp and rxt stock machines and I have an 08 ultra 250X that can't hang with the little ski that could on calm water..Even though yami doesn't hp rate their skis anymore.From all I have heard it is somewhere around 180 but I feel it could be closer to 200.

Quote Originally Posted by ecarnell View Post
    Got out for another 2.5'hr ride up the coast (lake Huron) up to south Hampton and back to Kincardine (35-40 miles each way).
    Waves were 3-4 feet - VXS spent half the time in the air again.... My lower back was getting beat up standing -'and you couldn't sit.
    Switched with the 215 for a good half hour - and honestly the ski (vxs) isn't as bad as I thought it was - more poor rider in my case. My buddy is an ex moto cross pro racer (Canada)- and is use to standing up for hours on end. I couldn't keep up with him in the chop on either machine (though not as bad when we switched) Going to try a kidney belt next time....
    Don't think I had it over 45mph. Didn't see another boat on the lake....
    I was going to suggest the r&d intake grate, as it will greatly improve the hookup in the rough, but after seeing what happened today with Julios post, I'm not so sure. But if you have the stock grate in the rough it's going bounce and slow down constantly. Turning in the rough with the stock grate also sucks, the r&d will let you turn through heavy chop much better and will make you much more confident. As long it doesn't break.

Also forgot to tell you make sure you get a ppk and 4200 the grate very carefully.(don't force it or do sloppy job). It will be night and day compared to the stock set up.

I'm finding that if I keep the speed up at about 40, 50 or above in a 1 to 2 foot chop I fly right over the tops of the stuff and it's a pretty smooth ride. All I hear is the rapid taping of the waves on the hull. Of course you have to come off the throttle some time............right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information