Thread: xl1200

xl1200

I just bought a 2000 xl1200 and can anyone tell me how to tell if it is a powervalve motor??

Something has dropped into the #3 cylinder and scarred up the cylinder wall. I am hoping to find a good used cylinder and piston and that should take care of it, right ?? Anything else I should look out for ??

Thanks !!

Jeff
    Last edited by carguystl1; 09-08-2011 at 06:57 AM.

+1
    What year is the ski?

+1
    2000 should be a powervalve engine. The power valve engines have individual cylinders while the non-PV 1200 has a mono-block with all 3 cylinders in one big block.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguystl1 View Post
    .....Something has dropped into the #3 cylinder and scarred up the cylinder wall. I am hoping to find a good used cylinder and piston and that should take care of it, right ?? Anything else I should look out for ??
    Contact Millennium to have cylinder renicasiled www.mt-llc.com. They will want a new piston to match with the cylinder. Check the top of the jug right at the 5:00 position(power valve at the 6:00 position) for a casting number for the correct piston. When you call in for a new piston they will ask for that number. Much cheaper than new and they do good work.

Get wave eater clips to prevent this from happening again. It is cheap insurance. Do a search on these.

Account for every component and piece of the valve and ring before rebuild. Check crank case, spray with WD-40 and blow out the crank case to get any debris that is hiding under crank.

Use a new base gasket. The head gasket is reuseable.

Quote Originally Posted by carguystl1 View Post
    I just bought a xl1200 and can anyone tell me how to tell if it is a powervalve motor??

Something has dropped into the #3 cylinder and scarred up the cylinder wall. I am hoping to find a good used cylinder and piston and that should take care of it, right ?? Anything else I should look out for ??

Thanks !!

Jeff
    what year?

The ski is a year 2000..

It appears to be a power valve engine...anybody have a diagram of
    the power valve assembly ??

Thanks for the info, Salty. I may go that route !

+1 on sending out for a nicasil repair. Many of us have done this and the renicasiled cylinder will be better than a new one. I had a good experience with millenium also. If you havn't already you need to look at all the trouble spots for this. ie. get wave eater clips. check the oil lines to the carbs to see if they are on and secured well. I do not think a zip tie is on well. Many have done the premix conversion. Also replace the cat with a d-plate. While apart you should inspect the crankshaft to make sure it is true and replace all the seals and gaskets. Lastly when you get it back together pressure test it. That would have saved me quite a bit of headache and time.

Is there a write up anywhere for pressure testing the crankcase ? if so can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

+1

Thread Information