+1

more 96 SL 900 ?'s

So i got the pump all back together and that section is now good. My new question is now it runs, but doesnt want to idle, it drops down to 800rpm then dies. I can start it back up with some throttle and its kinda sluggish off the start, but once it gets going it doesnt go above 5300+-rpm and I had a max speed of 38mph. I have cleaned the carbs and replaced fuel lines. I plan on installing new plugs in the am. Any ideas of what else to check. Thanks to everyone who has gotten me this far!!!

Check your low speed screws and make sure they are at specs. If they are turned in to far it will not idle. If they are at specs their is a knob that turns up the idle right were the throttle cable hooks to the carbs.
    If its sluggish make sure the accel pump is squirting into each carb with every squeeze of the throttle. They get clogged up and it will be very sluggish. Also make sure all three cylinders are firing. While its running in the water pop the seat and touch each cylinder to make sure they are getting warm.

+1
    Well it turns out I'm not getting fuel to the PTO cylinder. The other two plugs look perfect, the pto looks brand new still. I did clean the carbs, but did not touch the fuel pumps. What should I be looking for? Thanks!!!

+1
    I got the carbs off and the pto one had fuel in it. I have also replaced the pto impulse line and fuel out lines. Fuel out did have fuel in it. Would you guys think its the pto fuel pump? I ordered sbt rebuild kits. Do you think I am on the right track? The previous owner did no maintenance for the two years he had it. All I have done is update ignition, clean carbs, replace some fuel lines, repair pump.

did you confirm that the pto cylinder is firing? also double check that you have your fuel lines plumbed correctly. I used SBT kits and never had a problem with them. Also check you pop off pressures to see were you are at since you will have the carbs out again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stubburnjdh View Post
    did you confirm that the pto cylinder is firing? also double check that you have your fuel lines plumbed correctly. I used SBT kits and never had a problem with them. Also check you pop off pressures to see were you are at since you will have the carbs out again.
    There is spark at the plug, but the plug wasn't even wet. Fuel lines are correct compared the service manual. And yet to check pop off pressure and never have done it either.

you can dribble some premix down the pto carb and see if it fires. Remove mag and cen wires and plugs and ground them first. Then see if it will fire on the one cylinder. Well if you are starving the pto cylinder for fuel you are also starving the cent cylinder because it feeds from the returns from the mag and pto pumps. You can always pull the return line off the pto pump and crank it (with the lanyard out) and see if it is pumping any fuel. Just catch it in a container of some sort.

Thread Information