97 XP Charging: Recitifer Output is Negative (HUH?!)

Before you tell me to swap the leads on my meter, I promise, they are correct. Positive to Red, Negative to Black and the rectifier is putting out a negative voltage. Is Seadoo messing with me or do I have a bad rectifier?
    Symptoms are no charge to the battery. It looks like the rectifier output goes to the battery at the starter solenoid. It seems like this wire also powers the MEPM. So, how can I test this further? I have around 12.7 V throughout all RPMs.

Stator insulation test is OK.

Looks like a bad stator. Resistance between the three leads going into the rectifier are:

Middle to one side: 0.68 Ohm
    Middle to other side 125M Ohm

I checked out the service manual and this looks like a pretty involved job. Lots of specialized tools. Can anyone give me an estimate on what I should expect to pay for this repair at a dealer? Also, feel free to ask me me to try something in the hopes I am wrong. I may be able to get another rectifier to test with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes88Stang View Post
    I checked out the service manual and this looks like a pretty involved job. Lots of specialized tools. Can anyone give me an estimate on what I should expect to pay for this repair at a dealer? Also, feel free to ask me me to try something in the hopes I am wrong. I may be able to get another rectifier to test with.
    I had to have my stator replaced two months ago for just under $1000 parts + labor. They said it was ~$300 for the parts and the rest was labor.

Its sounds like your stator is bad and not charging your battery. If you are handy You can replace the stator yourself by taking off the stator/magneto cover. You would probably need to take the front engine mount off for better access to the 10mm bolts that hold the stator caver and after you do that there are 6 hex bolts that hold the stator in place with the trigger. I sell good used stators with triggers for under 100 dollars so if you need any assistance/parts please feel free to message me and i can help

Hope that helps

Pete

Thread Information