Thread: Hurricane Irene

+1

Hurricane Irene

Just wanted to get some opinions on 2 skis.Both were swallowed up by Irene.Found the 2000XLT 50 yds in the woods and full of water.Found the 96 WaveRaider 15 miles away out to sea full of water.Both salty.Should I junk'em or can I salvage any parts.Hulls are OK except for some dings.Broke the handlebar on the Raider.Are the electronics history?Had an idea of trying to build one out of the 2.They have been full of water for 4 days.Should Just look for another ski and forget these?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    Just wanted to get some opinions on 2 skis.Both were swallowed up by Irene.Found the 2000XLT 50 yds in the woods and full of water.Found the 96 WaveRaider 15 miles away out to sea full of water.Both salty.Should I junk'em or can I salvage any parts.Hulls are OK except for some dings.Broke the handlebar on the Raider.Are the electronics history?Had an idea of trying to build one out of the 2.They have been full of water for 4 days.Should Just look for another ski and forget these?
    If you decide to junk the xlt send me a PM. I would be interested in the cylinders and pistons and other parts.

as far as repairing them the crank is probably toast but you may get lucky. the best thing to do is totally tear them down and clean every thing and coat them with WD40 or something.

+1
    Try to get them running first before deciding on a rebuild. Remove the plugs and see if they will crank out the water. If so, then try and get it all out. Use short blips for a few seconds at a time as to not stress the starter. That way you can check the electronics also. If you get it running, make sure to run for atleast an hour. If slightly frozen, I would suggest a tear down. You could try and turn the pto to unlock it, but be careful. Keep an ear out for strange noises or if the ski is knocking. If it is frozen and you do decide to try and salvage/ unlock the crank, be careful as to not throw a rod. The bearings on the connecting rod ends are the ones that when they rust.., due to their small size/ surface area cause the most problems. If they stop spinning freely on their pin, they begin to channel on the pin and create slop. They will overheat, knock or break apart and cause a thrown rod. The pin is steel and will also rust... causing pits where the pin bearing rollers contact the pin. The larger crank bearings are more forgiving, but not much.

My question is though... how in the world did you find the Waveraider 15 miles out to sea?

+1

Jeyski location

A commercial fisherman found it floating and towed it back to a boat landing and called Wildlife Officer.He ran # and called me.Good people here in eastern NC.A sailboat was found 25 miles from where it was moored.Irene devasted this area.I really worry more about the electronics on the skis more than the engines.I figure they're toast with the salt water.I'm gonna break em down and check.I'll post if I decide to part out.I do not want to sell the parts if they're junk.Too many good people here too.

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    A commercial fisherman found it floating and towed it back to a boat landing and called Wildlife Officer.He ran # and called me.Good people here in eastern NC.A sailboat was found 25 miles from where it was moored.Irene devasted this area.I really worry more about the electronics on the skis more than the engines.I figure they're toast with the salt water.I'm gonna break em down and check.I'll post if I decide to part out.I do not want to sell the parts if they're junk.Too many good people here too.
    Where in Eastern are you? Relatives in Morehead got hit pretty hard.

+1
    Pamlico Beach, near Belhaven

+1
    yamaha electronics are sealed up very tight ive sunk mine a few times now and it still runs strong, the best advice is if you use the oil injection system DRAIN THE OIL TANK!!!!!!!! also drain the fuel tank dont forget water is heaver then fuel and oil so it will sink to the bottom of the tanks. Next pull the plugs and crand the hell out of the thing untill all the water is out of the cylinders. then spray some fogging oil into the first cylinder and install that spark plug only. Crank it untill it almost fires then do the same for the next 2 cylinders 1 at a time i also suggest adding an extra quart of oil to the fuel tank and some startron / stabil. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bscpant View Post
    yamaha electronics are sealed up very tight ive sunk mine a few times now and it still runs strong, the best advice is if you use the oil injection system DRAIN THE OIL TANK!!!!!!!! also drain the fuel tank dont forget water is heaver then fuel and oil so it will sink to the bottom of the tanks. Next pull the plugs and crand the hell out of the thing untill all the water is out of the cylinders. then spray some fogging oil into the first cylinder and install that spark plug only. Crank it untill it almost fires then do the same for the next 2 cylinders 1 at a time i also suggest adding an extra quart of oil to the fuel tank and some startron / stabil. good luck
    what he said...also, hose it everywhere as soon as possible. My gp1200 was sunk and sat for a year with no attention before I got it. Cylinders were full of water. I got 3 rides out of it before a cylinder finally burned up. I think if it was cleaned out after being sunk, the engine would have been fine. I swapped the motor and have had no other problems

+1
    Want to thank all for the help.Took Waveraider motor out and apart.Black muddy sand everywhere, rust starting.Cleaned it best I could and sprayed w/oil.One of the connecting rods was sticky.Is it worth sending for cleaning and or repair? Pistons look ok.Motor was running fine before storm.BTW checked the electricals before teardown.SURPRISE Starter bliped.Did not try to start.Took it out.Weather here sucks lately and with the mosquitoes about to take over, I haven't had a lot of time to work on it or the XLT.

Thread Information