Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Ultimate XPL/4-TEC Project!!!!!!

OK, just recently sold my wife's perfect XPL and already kinda miss it. Boat was one of the best handling/fun skis I ever had but just hated rebuilding all the time. Boat really carved with that cool inside lean and went through chop like a knife.

Before you start on motor build quality, this was a full blown ported, reflashed, Coffmann piped, Rinaldi reeded, RXP pumped ski that went 72 and she rode it 72 the whole time. We put over 130hrs on 2 skis every season so you may understand my frustration with the 2 stroke now. Must have a 4 stroke and needs to push 170hp or so. That would get her to 75+ I think.

I have a perfect 99 hull at a friends house but would also like to look for a left over CF one around too. I remember seeing one for sale a while back but can't find it now.

Danial's was a very cool ski but did't like the mid motor mount configuration or the fact he had 3 bildge pumps going all the time to keep it from sinking. There was also another one built in Austrailia that I believe was a front motor mount but they won't answer any of my questions and are keeping it secret for whatever reason.

My motor plans are a 1500cc 4-Tec but go normally asperated. My reasons for this is I can move the motor much back further without the SC and air inlet on back helping the CG. Also no I/C to deal with and all the pipes etc. reducing overall weight even further. I'm thinking with about 10/11-1 compresion it will do pretty well. Also porting the head on the N/A motors is more noticable and I'll add one of my new race cams. Probably keep the rpms around 8500 or less due to my wife's inability to let off the throttle. Maybe even stock ECU. I looked into some Ski-Doo motors but don't really want to open that can of unkown worms, stick with what I know. Another benefit with the 4-tec ECU is that I will still be able to utilize the VTS.

Also will try and find a CF hood assembly at least to help move the CG back even a little more.

She loves her conversion but I know deep down she misses her XPL. Want to act like I'm building for a customer and then just suprise her with it. We really need three skis anyways and I think this would make for a very user friendly ski for when my friends come from out of state.

I have all the motor parts more or less but could really help searching for a CF hood and or that CF hull. I know there has to be a lot of those floating around. Anything else you guys can think of either.

Here are a couple pics of her old boat right before I sold it and you can tell she really took care of it. She also must be partial to yellow due to her new S200o in the background.

Thanks in advance from everyone that can help with parts or ideas!

Duke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 92011 044.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	252032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone pics 92011 042.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	252031  

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    duke,

pm louis914 i know he had alot of XPL stuff before he go heavy into the 4 strokes. also whats under the cover in front of the S2K

+1
    Sounds like a cool project.. If you need a XPL my neighbor has 2 of them that he was saying he would sell both of the cheap. motor are hurt in both but if your interested PM and ill tell you the price.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvnspeed View Post
    Sounds like a cool project.. If you need a XPL my neighbor has 2 of them that he was saying he would sell both of the cheap. motor are hurt in both but if your interested PM and ill tell you the price.
    What years and what condition is the gelcoat in? I'm interested.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    duke,

pm louis914 i know he had alot of XPL stuff before he go heavy into the 4 strokes. also whats under the cover in front of the S2K
    I'll do that thanks!

Close to stock for now, just bolt ons. I need to get a Hondata retune.

+1
    I guess you dont need these XPL gauges anymore huh...

I have a 99 XPL bare hull too... with title

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I guess you dont need these XPL gauges anymore huh...

I have a 99 XPL bare hull too... with title
    Somebody bought it the first day i put it out for full price and offered me so much for the trailer that wasn't for sale I let that go to. To answer your question, no.

Shoot me a PM on how much you want for the hull. I need to get you this GPR seat.

Thanks Rich!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Somebody bought it the first day i put it out for full price and offered me so much for the trailer that wasn't for sale I let that go to. To answer your question, no.

Shoot me a PM on how much you want for the hull. I need to get you this GPR seat.

Thanks Rich!
    lol... no problem

the hull had a color change, and also had some glass repaired in the front and wasnt re-painted, so I need to get you some pics over first

+1
    With the open loop thermo delete and no charger I think the motor can be moved back pretty far. Maybe the tank can even get shoved back a little too. I don't want to loose out on how well the skis handle.

Of course battery will be in baxk and with the X style exhaust it should sneak right by the tank on the starboard side.

The RXP pump bolts in but needs the tunnel and shoe opend up a bit to take advantage. The ski is so light and with the 159 pump it holeshots like a rocket with the 951. 1500cc should be a blast.

+1
    Dammit Duke, My Old XPL was my favorite ski and I always missed it. Your pics got me missing it again - Good luck with the project

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information