Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

750 SS XI play toy build

I am new to the forum but have been doing a lot of research here. I like to take out the jet skis just for fun in the summer - nothing serious so not worth investing in a newer ski. Plus I can slip lots of small parts past the wife, but not a big purchase

I do like to tinker though, so even though the 750 xi is never going to be a speed demon I want to build it up to do a bit above 50 mph. For the lakes around here I'd rather have top speed than acceleration. From the research I've done it sounds like jet ski performance is basically pick your target impeller for speed/acceleration and then beef up the engine with enough HP to drive it.

So far, aside from cleaning up, inspecting, and updating seals/lines, etc. I am planning:
    1. Solas I-J-K series I (14/19) Impeller
    2. Coffman Rocket Exhaust Pipe (If i can find one - where should I look? Seems like no one makes/sells performance parts for old skis any more)
    3. Possible an upgraded intake grill

Any idea what I can expect out of such a setup? Any additional items worth the $$ in terms of performance?

http://www.rd-performance.com/produc...etrorocket.asp

check that link out its kinda old school but has some good info on the 750 xi and mods for it that should cross over to most 750's

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Try to find a 900 or 1100 motor and pump and call it a day.

Sean

^^^^^^ second that, light hull with big motor, ive seen someone selling an xir with the 900 motor

A factory pipe will also work for your jet ski. I actually just seen one on ebay that ended with o bids. You will have to check and see if the seller reposts it.

I also just picked up on xi. Looking to build it up a little

Use to have a '96 750 SS back in the day. Extended ride plate is a must on these. I had an R&D and cut the center bar out of the stock grate, we only rode in the surf and it worked well. These are really great hulls for surf riding because they are so light and not nose heavy...big air.

Ours was bored over to max and decked head with an Ocean Pro flame arrestor.

I would consider blocking off and pre-mixing if you haven't already. Failed pump cost me a motor and that was when the pump was only a few years old, not 16 years old like yours is now (assuming original pump).

I wouldn't worry about top speed too much if you keep the 750, you got the wrong boat for that. 47mph doesn't feel much different then 51mph and you're going to spend a lot to get there and still be slower than pretty much everything on the lake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VTCMart View Post
    I would consider blocking off and pre-mixing if you haven't already. Failed pump cost me a motor and that was when the pump was only a few years old, not 16 years old like yours is now (assuming original pump).
    I have NEVER, NEVER, EVER heard of a Mikuni oil pump failing. Did your pump actually fail? Or did a hose fall off? Or did you forget to put oil in it?

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I have NEVER, NEVER, EVER heard of a Mikuni oil pump failing. Did your pump actually fail? Or did a hose fall off? Or did you forget to put oil in it?
    We were told the pump failed. It was less than 2 years old at the time so I don't think the oil lines would have been brittle by then. It was under warranty so Kawasaki covered the bill.

About 6 months later we shipped the same ski in a crate to Hawaii (military move) and it blew up first time out. Was told again the pump failed, but that could be attributed to shipping damage (it wasn't boxed up very well, just laying on its side in the crate when it showed up)

Both times never saw any signs of oil line failure.

+1
    My 1994 750 SS XI is plenty quick for me for it's size. Only after market stuff is intake, ride plate, impeller (R&D PRO) and bars (Renthal)/clamp(R&D).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information