severe power loss

Just picked up a 96 slt780 fuji engine. has been working great for 2 weeks. put in lake today without drain plug in and got a lot of water in ski, but not over the engine. I drained it, then pulled spark plugs and turned over. No water came out of cylinders, bottoms of plugs looked dry. I read to give it a good run so i took it for a good 10 mile spin at various speeds and seemed fine. after about a 10 minute stop if started up fine but had less power, feels like i lost a cylinder. after about 5 more minutes (heading home asap) it dropped again. so now it feels like 1 cylinder, occasionally jumped back up in power, then drops off again. now only gets up to about 10 MPH. also raining today, could that do anything? I cannot do more advanced stuff like testing pressure. If i take tops off of cylinder tops off can i put them back on with existing gaskets or do i have to replace. i do not know if the previous owner messed with any settings but i doubt it.

Mt. Zion Illinois
    Open the electrical box and look for moisture. While it's open, test the stator wires to see if they meet spec. Search the forum for the specs on each wire.

My guess you either got water in the ebox or in the flywheel cover, and causing a short in the ignition circuits.

getting 3400 rpm, feels like its on one cylinder. it starts right up still, and feels like it trying to get going faster but just cant do it. pulled out of water today so i can take stuff apart, again, can i remove cylinder heads and replace them without changing the gasket? i wan tto see if pistons have burnt through. fual lines are black so i think they were replaced. thanks

Thread Information