Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Dream Demo Issue Delivered

I received the first Dream Demo issue of Watercraft World today. It is the first of four issues that will discuss all the boats tested. This one compared the Ultra 250 with the RXT.

Both boats were tested by the same 155 lb rider with a maximum of 5 gallons fuel, 62 degrees temp, 70 % humidity and 1-3 mph wind.

Ultra ran a best of 69.2 mph and consistantly finished on the 69 mph mark. Zero to 30 mph was done in 1.8 seconds. "Vicious acceleration that begins at launch and continues to top speed" "A new force to be delt with in the industry". "The fastest, most stable craft I have ever ridden" "If you like speed, big waves and stability in the ocean, this is the one" .....were some of the testers opinions.

Some of the noted imperfections are: Gauges placed too low, small and hard to decipher; New immobilizer key has to be reset after brief periods with engine shut down before craft will start (Kawi promised to have time lengthened on production units) The ride was sometimes wet. Probably the worst feature is the Smart Steering, when throttle is automatically applied at idle with bars turned. With the Ultras power this causes the craft to lurch forward unexpectedly and possibly cause a collision ! (Way to go Kawi...idiots !!!)

Now for the results on the RXT:
    Top speed 67.2 (a Wake edition tied the Kawasaki at 69.2 !!!!! This I can not believe unless SD had their skis "worked on") Zero to 30 averaged 2.1 sec.
    Testers agreed that the RXT was "a wonderful boat to ride in flat water" and "tons of fun" Mostly a dry ride. The bow tended to hunt in rougher conditions and roll slightly between its chines, rather than hold a level attitude. Instruments were far more readable than the Kawi.

I was wishing for a contest between the RXP and the Ultra 250. Not a word was mentioned about the RXP in this issue of WCW. I take the artical with a grain of salt because I never heard of a GTX style hull with the 215 doing over 69 mph stock !! I wonder if the speeds were equally inflated for all the other boats tested ? The only way to really know where the Ultra stands vs everything else is to ride it ourselves !!!

Richard

+1
    Thanks. Good report. No RXP report at dream demo. Hmmmmm. Here we go again.

+1
    Mark; The mag is spreading the Dream Demo tests out over 4 issues. Since WCW is only published 6 times a year it may take a long time to see what the testers had to say about the RXP and the other craft tested. They want to get their money's worth....probably have little else to write about. They had a listing of the 6 Dream Demo riders. Out of them, perhaps four were qualified to demo skis. One ladies "experience" seems to consist of towing her children around on tubes. Another "tester" just purchased his first PWC last year and was involved in an accident just 2 days after getting it ! The "Voice of Experience" I'm sure !!!!

Richard

+1
    Hmnnn, something sounds wrong.
    Well, at least I'm confident my boat will run 67 out of the box, require a few mods to run 70 and do everything else I need it to do.
    They better have corrected the hood but more imoprtantly the cowling below it!!

+1
    Dude, once you install your Sharpshooter 1450cc, you'll never be getting off it anyway!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Hmnnn, something sounds wrong.
    Well, at least I'm confident my boat will run 67 out of the box, require a few mods to run 70 and do everything else I need it to do.
    They better have corrected the hood but more imoprtantly the cowling below it!!

What was wrong with the hood and cowling ???

+1
    In both the pre-production models the hood was very flimsy and overly flexible, unlike the rest of the craft.
    The second unit I saw, the lower cowling bordered old Polaris quality in fit and finish but worse yet it was not seured very well.
    It was a very un-Kawi like product.

Just A Short Question

In The Real World What Is The Speed Of A Rxt???? I Know That It Sounds Inflated To Me For Some Reason.....but I Could Be Wrong....

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by petros the plumber View Post
    In The Real World What Is The Speed Of A Rxt???? I Know That It Sounds Inflated To Me For Some Reason.....but I Could Be Wrong....

Not inflated at all. My RXT is doing 66.6 with 15 seconds of open throttle in a slight chop. My friend's RXT is doing 67.4 bone stock, and Brian (Rustysearustydoo) has a GTX LTD thats seen 68.9 with a riva grate(not known to increase speed by any means). I can live with being slower, well slower stock anyway. In my opinion the RXT has one of the best rough water hulls. If you look back at all of the prerelease RXT reviews they were praising it like they are on the ultra. I can see most of you new ultra owners are gonna be just like some GPR owners were when the 1300R came out. Thats cool let the pissing match begin. When someone comes out with something better than the ultra 250X it'll happen again. History has repeated itself. I like the 250 except for it's looks. If i was rich i would own one. But the RXT is the ski for me. I'll be out there in the chesapeke bay this summer with my eye out for some new ultra owners who think they're untouchable. You guys are just dying to get out there and smoke an RXP. Most of you already have while bench racing. Just friggin ride for pete's sake there's always someone faster.

+1
    Dude,
    don't have a cow.

Lots of folks are really excited. I don't think there is anything wrong with expressing their fondness for a new watercraft. This can only mean good things for BuRP in a year or so! God Forbid Yamaha gets off their collective ass and make a decent 4stroke.

The only one I see with an attitude, is the haters!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information