Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1

Intake manifold filter...

im removing the filter now, but through the intake manifold where the throttle body attaches per riva's install instructions for keeping stock class legal. who has done this!? this is not working very well and im past the point of no return. HELP!

+1
    I haven't, but am interested in how it works out for you. Most folks do this in conjuction with other changes and I've never heard any hard numbers on what this contributes on its own.

+1
    i wouldnt recommend removing it this way to anyone...this is near impossible! now im stuck with 2" of the filter out and the other 12" still inside the manifold! fmL

+1
    Go have a beer, right now! Calm down - relax - and listen............

Get a long screw driver or long dandelion digger tool, anything long and has a "fork type" end that is fairly sharp. Take your the palm of your hand or a soft rubber mallet and start splitting down the side metal of the filter. Cut the black outer web material with the same motion. Work your way most of the length of the FA. Once mostly split, take a LONG pair of needle nose pliers and start twisting the arrestor around itself getting tighter and tighter. Once small enough to get out of the TB opening, take metal shears and start cutting it off. Keep doing this process and you will be able to just pull the last 1/2 to 1/3 of the FA completely out. I just did this a week ago and took 2 hours. Once you remove it, rinse the intake manifold out numerous times with hot soapy water, to get 100% of the metal pieces out, then take your air compressor and and blow it out numerous times.

Yes it is ass pain, but it cost you NO money, no possible boost leaks, and only cost you a few hours of hard work. IMO, the end result is very noticeable throttle response and acceleration.

+1
    ^ thanks for the info brotha! i pryed the lip inward and was twisting with plyers to try to do just what you are saying, but i didnt split it down the middle first. fail. now ive got a wad of shit in the opening now and i dont know if id be able to spilt it at this point. i dont like the idea of having a possible vaccuum leak using the riva "manifold upgrade kit", but at this point i have few options. looked at the apc mani, but the wifey will divorce me and then kill me with a price tag like that!

+1
    Just cut all you can of what is out of the opening, push it all back down inside, get the "forked" tool and start splitting the black outer material, then the metal mesh as far down as possible. By splitting the mesh and black material, this allows you to start wrapping the mesh around itself! You should be able to pull most of the black material out first in the same manner, then the metal mesh.

You WILL get it out.....just take your time!

+1
    I did this to my 08px a few weeks back, not boasting but took about 40min to get the filter out, took longer to get the manifold off!! (maybe i was lucky??)
    I found that by using long nose extended pliers, grad the perforated screen (about 2" long) and twist the screen around the pliers so it tears and it is like a tight wound up strip. Leave it in there and start grabbing the mesh screen (looks like flywire) and tear it in large pieces and pull it out. then go back and pull some of the perforated screen out. Work on about 2" at a time, At the end you will have a metal strip that holds the screen together, try not to bend it to bad otherwise it will be a shit to get out!! Don't stress it will come out
    And value for money it's a good mod, nothing like a freebie! Didn't notice anymore power but feels more responsive and revs easier.
    Hang in there grab a beer and take your time!!!!
    Bradsta..

+1
    Recommend doing this in an 06?

+1
    I put my manifold in the tub and then pressurized air after to make sure it was clean.

+1
    what year skiis have this in intake manifold ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information