Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

engine not turning over on 2000 xlt1200

my son just purchased waverunner last week. He did a quick test run in river ( 5 minutes ).
    Then took it out friday about an hour and a half later went dead in water. Checked battery and needed to be replaced. Bought new battery and took it back to river. Told me he forgot to reinstall cooling water hose . Ski only went about 50 yards from marina before bogging down and stalling. Brought it back home and tried to restart but motor will not turn over. You can hear and feel starter engage but not turn over engine. Removed plugs and tried again, but no luck. Ski had approximately 5 or 6 inches of water inside of hull. Positive battery cable had a deep nick in it and started smoking while trying to start. Cut out bad section and installed new terminal lugs .No more battery problems. Have started to remove exhaust manifold to get to starter and check it out. Shined light in plug holes and could not see any water, so I don`t believe it is hydrolocked. What should my next step be. I`m pretty good with boat motors but have no experience with PWC`s.

I would pull the head and get a better look at those cylinders. 5-6 inches of water, good chance he did suck in water(hydrolock). I don't think you will be able to really tell by just looking through the spark plug holes.

Btw welcome to the forum!

I will try that. Thank you. I was just under the assumption that if it was hydrolocked the engine would turn over if you took the plugs out. It would then shower you with water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oscajo View Post
    I will try that. Thank you. I was just under the assumption that if it was hydrolocked the engine would turn over if you took the plugs out. It would then shower you with water.
    That is true. It could be hydrolocked, but the relief IS through the holes. If this does not work at all then you have to consider other things that may lock up the engine.

Take the shroud off of the coupler between the mid shaft and the engine and try to turn the crank by hand. As an option, take a long 3/8's socket extention and put into the spark plug hole that has its piston on the upstroke and press down on it. The piston should go down very easily with all three plugs out of the engine. This will help tell if your engine/pump are actually locked.

Look into the pump intake for anything that may be stuck inside of the pump tunnel like a rope. This will help determine if the pump is in any way involved.

If the engine turns freely, then you may need to think about your starter.

Pulled head and watched as starter engaged pistons moved about an 1/8 inch each bump and last piston top looks shot and has shavings on it. Does not look good.

+1
    Last one looks shot? Does the dome of the head look pitted? Sounds like:

1. oil line popped off. Check that particular carb in the front intake area for a loose oil line
    2. power valve drop
    3. piston ring failure

Had one do the same thing and the #3 oil line fell off and caused the piston to burn and break off chunks against the cylinder wall. When it cooled, it was stuck. Was told the power valve dropped, but was the oil line failure. Also seen them do the same thing and still turn over and run... badly of course. No rhyme to it.

+1
    He forgot to re-install water cooling hose????? I suspect it over heated due to the lack of cooling.

had similar problem when my cooling hose came off

This is the ski you sold last week. Ran less than a minute with hose off.

Quote Originally Posted by oscajo View Post
    This is the ski you sold last week. Ran less than a minute with hose off.
    Who?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information