Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Lightbulb Tuning Your ViPEC Ecu

The most requested email I get is "How do I tune my ski".

I want to take some time to answer some common questions and show how to use a ViPEC datalog to tune your engine. The items needed will be an LC1 ( or similar lambda controller) connected to the ViPEC. A clean/new O2 sensor. This is important because an O2 sensor that is left in the exhaust is most likely bad if its been there for a while. An engine that will idle and requires fueling changes at part throttle and/or wide open throttle. This process can also be applied to a motor that you wish to fine tune or even verify the O2 readings. Just as a side note: The data taken from the O2 sensor is just DATA! This goes for all engine sensors as well. It can be compromised! What I mean by this is contaminated O2 sensors, leaded fuels, mixed fuels or bad wiring can cause bad information to be recorded. Spending the time to make sure your setup is correct makes a huge difference. These procedures listed below can be applied to any fuel. All that is needed is an understanding of what each fuel looks like to the O2 sensor. Pump gasoline vs. Alcohol vs. E85 all give different AFR readings. This is where lambda readings come in - it will make your life easier.

Tuning the engine is rather easy once you understand the steps needed and get familiar with the software. This is the key to the whole process – Understanding the Software. The Help manual in the ViPEC Software is your best friend. If your stuck on a setting and don't know how to use it. Just Right Click on the table, cell or drop down menu and select “What's This?”. The ViPEC Help manual will open to the page for that setting or item.

The ViPEC offers a very simple method of tuning while the Ecu is 'Offline'. In the automotive world you can bring the PC with you while driving around. Unfortunately laptops don't like water and no one wants to take a swim while holding on to theirs. So to make life easier - In your VTS software, I'm sure you noticed the Mixture Map Tab. Using this tool, the configuration file that is uploaded into the ecu and a log file. You can make adjustments to the main fuel table using only data from previous outings. The Mixture Map Tool takes your data log and creates a new table based on this information. It then shows you each cell and how far off it was to your 'Target' AFR. You then simply right click on it to update that cell and move to the next. These updated cells then provide you with an understanding of what the fuel tables will look like and you blend it or smooth it.

Here is a link to a howto that describes the settings of this tool and some usage notes.

Download the file here. Download: Mixture_Map

A few things that will help you out:

1. Always do a free air calibrate on the O2 sensor.

2. Never use an O2 sensor that has been left in the exhaust for extended periods of time. If the sensor has corrosion on it.. its no good.

3. If your tuning the engine for the first time ALWAYS make a copy of your configuration file and work with the copy!!!! Then backup your work as you go. If you make a mistake, then fall back to a copy.

4. Ride the ski in stages or steps of RPM. Meaning - Start with idle then 1500rpm, 2000rpm then 2500rpm etc... The Mixture Map Tool uses data from the O2 sensor. So if you only spend 1 second of time at 3500rpm the data recorded from that point will be worthless. Instead 3 minutes at 3500rpm will provide you with much more information. The more time you spend at each rpm site the more data the O2 can provide. The goal here is to provide as much data as possible for as many load sites as possible. This is what the Mixture Map Tool looks for and displays this as 'Number of Samples'.

5. NEVER make changes to the main fuel table and just go ride. ALWAYS verify that your changes are GOOD! A wet O2 sensor will create false readings.

6. Set your logging rate. A logging rate of 50Hz will provide the best information but decrease the amount of time. 50Hz = 13 minutes of logging. 25Hz = 27 minutes. 20Hz = 34 minutes. The slower the logging rate the longer the log file will be. BUT the slower the logging rate the more time that will be needed at each rpm site. I recommend 20 ~ 50hz and spend time at each rpm site e.g... 1500rpm, 2000rpm, 2500rpm, 3000rpm... this will give you the best data to tune with.

7. Make very slow throttle changes. Rip'n the ski up and down the lake and making fast throttle changes does nothing for tuning. The Mixture Map Tool can filter out these fast throttle changes but why waist the time or the data?

8. Enable the settings on the properties page of the Mixture Map Tool.
    The 'Wideband Source' should always equal 'AN Volt 6'. This is the O2 sensors input.

The Conditional Filter for ECT should always be used. You never want to tune a COLD motor. Only an engine that is at operating temp should have the fuel table adjusted.

Transient Filter for TP(Main) should always be enabled. This will filter out any fast throttle movements.

'Minimum Samples' should be on and set to at least 250. This means any sites with less than 250 data samples will not be displayed. If you unchecked this and then have a look at the Mixture Map you'll see everything it logged. With the exception of ECT and throttle transient filtered cells.

And last 'Active Zone Area'. This is how close to the center of each cell the data got. This will filter out data that split across two or more cells.

9. The AFR Target Table has more than one purpose. Make sure you understand what happens when you change a value on this table. The idea of this table is to provide you with a tool that will make fuel adjustments without using an O2 sensor.

10. The MOST IMPORTANT thing of all - If you don't have the parts to make the horsepower you want, don't take a chance at hurting the motor. A very good example of this is fuel supply to the motor. I get ALOT of emails from people asking if its ok to ride the ski this weekend without a FPR....

This is by no means a complete list of information on how to tune BUT should provide you with enough information to start you down the right path. If you have questions Please ask! There are no stupid questions when it comes to tuning. The more you understand the better you pick it up.

+1

Table Usage

Here is some more information on how to use the table functions and shortcuts. This should help several of you out with color information.

All of this information can be found in the help files in your VTS software.

Table Usage.pdf

Moderated
    thanks for taking the time to post this info rob, please keep it coming....i can only dream if rotax offering the same sort of support for my igni power setup

Great info! Thanks Rob.

+1
    Thanks Rob. Glad to own a Vi-PEC.

Guys, follow Robs instructions on the mixture map. It is amazing, and once you have done it, its not hard at all..
    I created a log file by cruising at different rpms for a total of 14 minutes. I was lean in the low to mid with Rivas base maps 13.0-14.0, and way fat on top before, 10.6-11.0. After the mix map procedure i am so close to perfect, 12.0-12.5 across the board, and the engine is much happier..
    Just spun the 160mm rotax pump with 15-25 impeller at 9000 rpms, and its hitting the limiter.. Time to raise the limiter a tad more.

+1
    What AFR target table you guys are using ???

+1
    I know what AFR's I want to run at but I'm not sure how to change it against MGP. Help PLZ.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    I know what AFR's I want to run at but I'm not sure how to change it against MGP. Help PLZ.
    Adjusting the AFR target table is very easy. Caution needs to be taken though so you dont remove fuel where it's needed. I have attached an image showing some basic info.

Just keep in mind that your cruise rpm is based on you and your prop. The best method to use is ride the ski and log it. Make note of the rpm/mgp you 'cruise' at. Then use those numbers to adjust that location on the table. Always log the AFR and engine data.

Some basic tuning information:
    1. Always tune the engine while at operating temp. Trying to tune a motor that never gets warm is a waste of time. I would recommend the engine at 170f or 78C. This will ensure all of the cold engine fuel corrections are off.
    2. Never make large adjustments.... make small adjustments and monitor the results.
    3. When you edit the table rows or columns taper the values. Dont make large jumps from one cell to another, smooth the values.
    4. If your engine has stock (cast) pistons I do NOT recommend leaning the engine out excessively.
    5. Remember that not all engines are equal. The differences in IC's, pistons, head work, cams, boost pressure and rpm the engine is prop'd at will cause differences in performance. Leaning the engine out a idle, cruise or under load may hurt performance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFR table.PNG 
Views:	1198 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	261135  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    What AFR target table you guys are using ???
    Here is what I run on one or our FZR's.

Note that this engine is built and this is not recommended for a stock engine or cast pistons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	1232 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	261136  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information