2002 XLT 1200's help!

Took my skis on vacation this past weekend. Nightmare!

Ski#1: Always takes a little extra to start. Got it running. Sucked some grass into the intake. Shut it down. Tried to restart and choke stuck open so it bogged down and shut off. Won't start. Towed it in to clean the intake. Let it sit. Change the plugs. Hook up the jump pack and it starts then bogs down and cuts out 30 yards out into the marina. Cannot get it to start.

Ski#2: Freshly rebuilt and fires right up. Same thing with the grass. Clean the intake. Switched batteries out between Ski#1 and Ski#2 to try to get it back to the trailer. Now ski#2 started but when id let off the throttle it would shut off. Sounded like weird vibration in the shaft. Shut it off and now we cant restart it.

Is the battery bad and messing up my skis? Another problem is i couldnt flush them so now i have brackish water sitting in my skis!

Also, Ski#2's CAT temp warning keeps going off but when I feel the CAT housing its cool to the touch?

Pretty much ruined the weekend. I did the rebuild and had them running great but im about to just take them to a dealer.

+1
    I am no expert on most of your issues but on the CAT temp warning same thing happened to mine and the CAT is done most likely sitting sideways in your exhaust. Remove it and put in D-plate with sensor chip you can get it right from the Greenhulk performance parts store with link on top of this page order two and do both it is only a matter of time on the other ski. Again no expert and first ski and I did mine XLT1200 2003.

Other guys will be along soon for other questions. Good luck.

+1
    The way that you describe the problems that you are having, they seem to be pump related. I'd start with the pumps first. Take a flash light and look into the intake for ANY debris that you may have missed. You can also look into the pump through the thrust nozzle at the impeller around the edges. The tolerences between the impeller and wear ring are very tight, and if you get so much as a twig in there, the engine and pump will vibrate violently.

If you find that there is still debris in there and you have to pull the pump, you will find that it is not a difficult job at all. There are a set of ears between the pump itself and the wear ring that surrounds it. You just take a couple of flat head screwdrivers, pry them between the ears, and seperate the pump and wear ring evenly from side to side.

Also If you have not already checked I would pull the spark plugs and crank it to see if you have water in the cylinders. After towing this can be an issue too.

Thanks guys. Just so you know ski#2 ran fine once i cleaned the intake. I took it out and ran it around for a little until the temp sensor started acting screwy. But when I put the freshly charged battery in started acting up. My buddy said my battery is weird and sometimes if the polarity is reversed 2-strokes will run backwards. Can that happen with these? I checked the props when i pulled them out of the water and didnt see anything in there. I will have to take a closer look tonight.

Also, Im going to throw the compression tester on there just for peace of mind. This thing was towed pretty dang slow so I don't think I forced any water into the cylinders but I will check.

+1
    Not sure what your friend is talking about, but no way to reverse polarity on these and not damage the ECU or very least blow a fuse. Do not try and reverse the polarity either. Think about it... if the engine was spinning backwards and the impeller is spinning backwards, how will you still be going forwards? If you can, take the battery to an auto parts to charge it and test it under load to figure out the battery question of being good or bad.

Thread Information