Thread: New to Forum

New to Forum

I've been reading for awhile and need to ask some questions now.

I bought a 03 1300r this spring that was very clean and taken care of. This weekend though the kids toasted the front cylinder and it won't turn over. The plug looked beat up and looking through the plug hole I saw a coulpe little shiney bits. The other 2 look fine.

It has 100 hours and is bone stock.

Question is, should I fix the one cylinder and diamond hone rering the other 2? Or do a 1390 kit?

Anything else I should be checking? Haven't disassembled yet.

Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Greenhulk.
    It's better to take off the head and see the condition of the cylinder, sound like you have a seizure in the cylinder. If the other 2 cylinder look fine then I would just fix the 1 cylinder that is damage. Rehone the other 2 and rering it might as well you at it... But you saw bit and pieces, need to find out where the bit and pieces came from first... As for the 1390. it all depend on how fast you want to go, There are reliablity issue if going 1390.. Go fast blow fast... Just my 2 cent...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins750 View Post
    I've been reading for awhile and need to ask some questions now.

I bought a 03 1300r this spring that was very clean and taken care of. This weekend though the kids toasted the front cylinder and it won't turn over. The plug looked beat up and looking through the plug hole I saw a coulpe little shiney bits. The other 2 look fine.

It has 100 hours and is bone stock.

Question is, should I fix the one cylinder and diamond hone rering the other 2? Or do a 1390 kit?

Anything else I should be checking? Haven't disassembled yet.

Thanks
    If the plug is eat up and you see pieces of metal in the cylinder you need to pull the motor and clean every thing and check the crank bearings and reeds for damage. As far as 1390 there's a lot of extra expense unless you can find a good used set already done.

Thanks for the replies. This will be my winter project along with the Sxi. The pieces I saw were pretty tiny, so hopefully it's just a cylinder and piston.

If I find a Weisco piston cheap, do I have to replace all 3 with Weisco? I'm thinking weight vs stock.

+1
    I'd go with PRO X, heard too many story about Weisco piston and their problem... I run pro x havent had any problem yet..... Since you got 100 hr might as well replace all 3... Do a top end rebuilt, but since it going to be a winter project, I would crack the bottom end out and inspect the crank and bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed796 View Post
    I'd go with PRO X, heard too many story about Weisco piston and their problem... I run pro x havent had any problem yet..... Since you got 100 hr might as well replace all 3... Do a top end rebuilt, but since it going to be a winter project, I would crack the bottom end out and inspect the crank and bearing.
    Wiseco now owns ProX...my buddy ordered a "ProX" piston from Millenium Tech a couple of months ago to accompany his replated cylinder. The one they sent him was in a ProX box, but it was clearly a forged Wiseco. Makes me wonder if they are phasing out their ART made ProX pistons?

Thread Information