Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help asap!

Need help asap!

Hello, I belong to a Supra Forum for my boat, and just recently purchased a 1996 Sea Doo XP because i cant put my boat in water due to low lake levels. It has ran fine until this weekend. The Supra forum has gave me so much help, so i am happy i found y'all.

Here's the deal. A buddy of mine almost rolled the ski, and then it wouldnt start. Towed him in because thought it could have been flooded. Took out the plugs and turned it over, and saw no water shoot out. Put brand new plugs and it started right up, but we killed it and let sit for 30mins. I came back and pushed out in water and wouldnt start. Brought back to bank and tried to start a few more times until the starter made a horrrible noise. Tried to tap on started incase it was stuck, still same horrible noise. Towed back to boat ramp and went home. took off starter and it works fine by jumpering it with battery cables. (O NO, I hope motors not locked up. Then i also found that the distributor/electrical box (i dont know what its called) had water in it because one of the clips that secures lid is broke. So i wanted to fill the cylinders with WD-40 or automatic trans fluid last night because ive heard that done with old cars that are locked up, but didnt want to until i had some good advice.

Can someone let me know how to find out if it is locked up, and how big of a problem could the water in elec. box could have caused.

Thanks,
    DB

+1
    Take the spark plug out and turn the motor over by hand with the pto wheel at the back of the motor. See if it turns over, then compression test it. If the compression is under 100 psi on one of the cylinder will most likely need rebuilt or that cylinder will need to be rebuilt. The water in the Grey box might have something to do with it too. Check all the fuses. Also make sure it not your jet pump that lock up. This has happen to people that thought there motor was lock up. But I don't think it is that. If you ever roll it again make sure to get it running as soon a possible so if there is water in the motor it will dry out.

When i got home today i used a large screw driver to manualy turn the gear that the starter is supposed to turn. I figured that i might be able to turn it so the starter would work again but still the same noise happened after i put the starter back on. I didn't look at the fuses i will have to check them.

+1
    The starter Bendix gear might of when out. this is some info on the stater Bendix it for a polaris but it might give you some in sight. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...bendix-to-quit

I also found this post on another site. http://www.pwctoday.com/f14/97-gp760...ng-298748.html

One thing i still am not sure of is in the threads about Bendix problems people say they can here the starter turning but the engine wont. Is their "i can here the starter spinning" the same as i here a horrible spinning/grinding sound.

+1
    The gear is probably strip or the spring is broken but the starter is still good. It might be easier just to find a used starter for $50. I have never mess with rebuilding one before. But some say it easy.
    Last edited by 20 feet Boy; 09-16-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Ive found some for about $60. thanks for all your help 20 feet. i am going to look at some stuff tonight and make my decession on what to do.

It sounds like your starter is shot. I would take the starter out and inspect the gears, bench test it and see if it engages. I have Used starters avialable for your aplication and if you are interested please message me so i can help you out.

Thank you

Pete

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dickboxers View Post
    When i got home today i used a large screw driver to manualy turn the gear that the starter is supposed to turn. I figured that i might be able to turn it so the starter would work again but still the same noise happened after i put the starter back on. I didn't look at the fuses i will have to check them.
    Is this gear that you turned on the engine or the starter? If your turning the gear (flywheel) on the engine and hear the noise it is likely an engine failure due to hydrolock (bent or broken rod).

Even without the starter you should be able to turn the engine by hand on the pto side/ where the drive shaft slides into the rubber booth. Take the plastic cover, remove the plugs and try to turn it by hand. If it turns over nice and smooth you most likely have a bad starter bendix gear or the flywheel gears are stripped too.

Let us know what you figured out

thanx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information