Thread: winterizing

winterizing

Hi folks.........I have heard two diferent stories. To flush with pink antifreeze or not........

Last year I had the dealer do the winterizing and tech said the Kawa doesn't even think this is necessary but the dealer puts some pink stuff through the system anyway. He also lifts the bow up to get everything to drain out. I'm confused

So let me have it I have a 2009 STX-15F what is the correct way of getting all the water out to store for the winter.

Thanks to all that answers

Roger

I always would just rig up a funnel on the hose hookup and run 1 gallon of RV threw it. I would also raise up the nose after I did the RV antifreeze.

After 3 winters it was always fine.

Thanks CD

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigsea View Post
    So let me have it I have a 2009 STX-15F what is the correct way of getting all the water out to store for the winter.
    Read your 15F Owner's Manual's "Storage" section which exactly shows how - draining water from the exh pipe & hose to prevent freezing/cracking.

If it were me and the thing is stored outside I'd add antifreeze to protect the manifolds and exhaust system regardless of what the whack-a-zaki book says. I'd follow the book first then add the pink juice. I still have another month of ocean riding up north!!

rt

meangreen........I have read that storage chapter and it is very vague IMHO and that is way I am asking............

again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigsea View Post
    meangreen........I have read that storage chapter and it is very vague IMHO and that is way I am asking............
    It shows a diagram of parts and tells you exactly what to do.
    Which part of the procedure is vague?

+1
    I don't think it's very good either. I have found copious amounts of water in the stator housing after following the procedures. Virtually every hose I pull has water flowing from it. This year I plan on using a small pump to move metal-compatible RV anti-freeze through the system, as explained by others on this site or PWCtoday. Do a search.
    Raw water left in the system not only can freeze, it can also corrode things....plugging up cooling passages/ports here and there.

+1
    It is not possible to get ALL the water out of the cooling system, water stays in the mufflers regardless of how much you rev it up out of the water. RV antifreeze is a must if the ski is subjected to freezing temps. I do my 15f like a Honda, get a large funnel & piece of garden hose about 4-5 feet with a male fitting on one end which screws into the flush fitting under the hood. attach the hose to the funnel & hang it several feet above the ski, I use a 8' step ladder. Then start the engine & dump 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of the antifreeze in the funnel & it will run into all parts of the cooling system, burp the throttle one or twice like you do when you take it out of the lake & you are done.

Thread Information