Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Spun bearing?

+1

Spun bearing?

Got my engine finished and went for a test ride last week. I pushed a little too hard maybe but on a WOT run it stumbled a little so I backed right off to idle. Idle seemed slightly rough, goosed the throttle and heard a clicking sound, almost like a ratchet. Kinda hard to describe. It didn't make that noise at idle but only when I gave it some throttle so I idled it back to the dock.

Ran a compression test that night and got 135, 135, 122. I don't have a compressor or I would have done a leakdown test as well. Pulled the head looking for bent valves or PTV contact evidence. Everything looks perfect.

I had the crank polished and all new rod and main bearings. I am wondering if I spun a bearing. Thoughts?

+1
    For what its worth, when i spun my rod bearing on #1 the oil pressure sensor went off on display.

+1
    I didn't throw any codes or alarms. I was curious if I would have oil to the valve train so I pulled the valve cover and plugs and let the starter spin it over like that for a while. Oil was flowing from all of the rockers. All the retainers and keepers are in place and nothing obvious is jumping out at me as being wrong.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the engine and tearing it down but I am currently leaning towards a spun bearing. The only other thing I can think of is a weak or broken valve spring. Enough tension to control the valve at idle but not enough pressure above that. Since I can't see any evidence of PTV contact I am not convinced.

+1
    Whats the oil pressure look like. With the valve cover off while spinning the motor over check to see if the timing chain tensioner is slapping back and forth making the ticking. Did you assemble using engine assembly lube? Did you rebuild the oil pumps. Did you add the appropriate amount of engine oil after assembly, add oil, roll engine, check again before starting. Will look full until the engine fires and primes the engine. Just throwing some stuff at you for thought.

+1
    Loose flywheel bolts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dnielsen View Post
    Whats the oil pressure look like. With the valve cover off while spinning the motor over check to see if the timing chain tensioner is slapping back and forth making the ticking. There was still tension on the tensioner. The sound I heard was a slower rythem, not what I would expect from links of the chain rubbing on something

Did you assemble using engine assembly lube? YES

Did you rebuild the oil pumps. Pumps were in nice shape and did not need a rebuild

Did you add the appropriate amount of engine oil after assembly, add oil, roll engine, check again before starting. Will look full until the engine fires and primes the engine. Just throwing some stuff at you for thought.Added oil, cranked it over with the throttle wide open, let it sit and checked. Repeated until the oil was half way between the bends. Fired it up and repeated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Loose flywheel bolts?
    Hmm, maybe. I did use the new stretch bolts and installed them to spec with the torque angle gauge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    Hmm, maybe. I did use the new stretch bolts and installed them to spec with the torque angle gauge.
    Seems like I remember a typo on these in the shop manual for torque specs. Same page but two different torque specs. I think one was shown in ft.lb and the other in ft.in. Did you mic the crank for proper clearances? Just asking I dont know you or you engine building ability. Just trying to rule out the obvious.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    Maybe the problem because I have done like you did and followed specs and bolts came loose. Made a knocking noise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    Maybe the problem because I have done like you did and followed specs and bolts came loose. Made a knocking noise.
    Good advice JP, I havn't heard of this happening until now. I used the new bolts as well and torqued to spec with no issues up till now. How long did the engine run before this happened?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information