Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Buying a blown up 250x

Ok I ride with a Honda crew lol and I cruse an old school wb2 and am wanting to get something with forced induction.

So I have found a deal on a 07 250x 50 hours and a cracked head. The dealer broke it down and says it just needs the physical head all internals are good.

What is this ski worth as is?

What is the best case/worse case moneywise for a mechanically inclined person on getting the head corrected?

Thanks sorry I'm a noob to the forum

+1
    Quite the dilemma- retail on a new bare head [no valves or cams] is close to two grand, and you would have to install your old valves in it, and that's no easy job, I would recommend you have someone who's familiar with setting the valves do it. Trying to find a used head is probably going to be hard to find and you run the risk of getting another head prone to cracking. I say buy it cheap or pass on the deal

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliferton View Post
    Ok I ride with a Honda crew lol and I cruse an old school wb2 and am wanting to get something with forced induction.

So I have found a deal on a 07 250x 50 hours and a cracked head. The dealer broke it down and says it just needs the physical head all internals are good.

What is this ski worth as is?

What is the best case/worse case moneywise for a mechanically inclined person on getting the head corrected?

Thanks sorry I'm a noob to the forum
    Are you on the Goldie?
    if so who is selling the ski?
    If you are in QLD and are serious you need to PM sirbreaksalot, as I think it would easily cost you $4000.00 plus to get it running.
    I would recommend having someone look at it before you outlay any cash.
    If your from somewhere other than OZ.
    Do a new post looking for a local mechanic.

I don't trust dealers.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSFAB View Post
    Quite the dilemma- retail on a new bare head [no valves or cams] is close to two grand, and you would have to install your old valves in it, and that's no easy job, I would recommend you have someone who's familiar with setting the valves do it. Trying to find a used head is probably going to be hard to find and you run the risk of getting another head prone to cracking. I say buy it cheap or pass on the deal
    2010 260 head py # ending in 711 are $1600 ish
    can get them cheaper in the USA tho

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    2010 260 head py # ending in 711 are $1600 ish
    can get them cheaper in the USA tho

Waz
    I'm repping for you.

don't worry about commissions, well work it out soon

if it had a cracked head, its probaby had water in the engine. Ticking time bomb if you ask me. How lucky do you feel. Its 07 so probably had GIO (gas in oil) problem too.
    You can find an 07 in running condition for about $5,000. Cost you at least $4,000 to fix properly. So do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliferton View Post
    If the ski only needs a new cyl head, doesn't your title "Blown Up 250X" sound too exaggerating/negative?

+1
    Well dealer said only needs head casting but it could needs valves,shims,springs,. I can do the work involved to repair ski we/he was just wondering if other damage has came from the head cracking . We were told it was some emitions valve in head that allowed cool water to flow into head when it was turned off after a wot run. If this is what done it I would think only the head... But if it was gio then I could see more issues inside . Is ski worth $2k as it sits

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
    Well dealer said only needs head casting but it could needs valves,shims,springs,. I can do the work involved to repair ski we/he was just wondering if other damage has came from the head cracking . We were told it was some emitions valve in head that allowed cool water to flow into head when it was turned off after a wot run. If this is what done it I would think only the head... But if it was gio then I could see more issues inside . Is ski worth $2k as it sits
    I'd buy it for 2k

And no it's not a valve that let cold water in. It's from IMO and that of others that people do not warm up and cool down there ski properly would cause thermal shock and that's what would crack the head. They removed a few key water openings on the head thus making those areas thicker and stronger.
    As for Gio unless it's a 300 it will have it even 260 had it. Is it a issue not really if u change your oil often and maintain the ski correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    I'd buy it for 2k
    I'd buy it for 2.5k!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information