+1

So whats the differances? RXTX, RXTX iS, RXTX aS?

I was looking on Sea Doos web site, and using their comparrison feature, but they really dont say allot other than "intelligent" suspension, and adjustable suspension. I see some deals starting to come out here, as the summer is winding down, my local dealer is wanting to put more quads and dirt bikes out, in addition to a few sleds, anyway they have a couple of each, and my friend who works there says there ready to start moving them, so whats the best set up, whats the differances other than the obvious? Which do I want to go with? My plans are for extensive mods, like my other boats, but being this will be my first new S3 hull and purchase since 08, what do I want to get where I'm at now or beyond?
    Thanks

+1
    IMO if your modding your not going to want suspension

You basically have no access to the engine bay without removing the top deck

and its questionable if its even worth while.

Get the RXTX

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    IMO if your modding your not going to want suspension

You basically have no access to the engine bay without removing the top deck

and its questionable if its even worth while.

Get the RXTX
    Whys that?

+1
    I have not ridden one but have seen comment that it bounces you around if the conditions are not perfectly suited to the suspension

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I haven't had that bouncing issue too much. Although it does behave a little better in a head sea. She can hop in a following sea if the size/spacing are just right. If that happens, I just trim the nose down. But it's never been a real issue.

The RXTX is the no spring model, is a little faster, and can be modded easier, plus a lower center of gravity.
    The RXTiS can have up to 6 inches of travel and the deck height is instantly adjustable (I tend to run mine all the way up in most cases) The center of gravity is a little higher, but I used to ride standups and quickly became comfortable
    The RXTaS was pegged as the "offshore" model. It has 5 inches of travel, but you must manually adjust it (pre-load) via a special wrench under the seat, but you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension via the reservoir bottle in the storage compartment below the handle bars. (Very quickly I might add) The aS won't have cruise/slow modes or the boarding ladder standard like the iS and X, you'll have to add them.

But for the Thread Starter, I grew up in your neck of the woods and unless you're in the Gorge on a windy spring day, you'll probably be happiest with an non-suspension ski if you're running around the TC area for example. If you think you'll get a lot of offshore time over in places like the PS or Cape Disappointment you may want to think about a ski with a "lift kit".

Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I haven't had that bouncing issue too much. Although it does behave a little better in a head sea. She can hop in a following sea if the size/spacing are just right. If that happens, I just trim the nose down. But it's never been a real issue.

The RXTX is the no spring model, is a little faster, and can be modded easier, plus a lower center of gravity.
    The RXTiS can have up to 6 inches of travel and the deck height is instantly adjustable (I tend to run mine all the way up in most cases) The center of gravity is a little higher, but I used to ride standups and quickly became comfortable
    The RXTaS was pegged as the "offshore" model. It has 5 inches of travel, but you must manually adjust it (pre-load) via a special wrench under the seat, but you can adjust the stiffness of the suspension via the reservoir bottle in the storage compartment below the handle bars. (Very quickly I might add) The aS won't have cruise/slow modes or the boarding ladder standard like the iS and X, you'll have to add them.

But for the Thread Starter, I grew up in your neck of the woods and unless you're in the Gorge on a windy spring day, you'll probably be happiest with an non-suspension ski if you're running around the TC area for example. If you think you'll get a lot of offshore time over in places like the PS or Cape Disappointment you may want to think about a ski with a "lift kit".

Hope this helps.
    It does, I'm right above Wells Dam and while we do get some pretty stiff winds their not as bad as what the Gorge gets, and generally when it's that bad were not out anyway. I'm thinking hard of replacing my 08 RXTX with a new one for my wife, and either a 2011 RXTX for me, or a 2012 RXPX for me. I know my wife misses her boarding ladder she had on her old Limited, so I told her the next one will have one, and she does like the brake idea, her mods won't be as extensive as mine. Her present TX has a 4" Kana intake, through hull exhaust, relocated IC, and a Solas 15/22, and the free mods.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    It does, I'm right above Wells Dam and while we do get some pretty stiff winds their not as bad as what the Gorge gets, and generally when it's that bad were not out anyway. I'm thinking hard of replacing my 08 RXTX with a new one for my wife, and either a 2011 RXTX for me, or a 2012 RXPX for me. I know my wife misses her boarding ladder she had on her old Limited, so I told her the next one will have one, and she does like the brake idea, her mods won't be as extensive as mine. Her present TX has a 4" Kana intake, through hull exhaust, relocated IC, and a Solas 15/22, and the free mods.
    I thought you may have been down by the TC. Never had to worry about rough water there because it's kind of narrow. I think I know where you're at and you can get those winds coming off the mountains, along with the thermals and all that water. I guess my best advice is to try and ride both on a choppy day. I know for me, the suspension system improves things. It turns those sharp jolts into a mush and in some conditions where other people have to stand up and slow down, I can just point it into the sea and floor it without leaving the seat. We had a large event in Clearwater a couple of weeks ago that was feeling the effects of Irene. I watched a lot of people get beat up, but I didn't have too many of those issues. It just works for me and yes........pulling the brake at full speed is pretty fun! Check out the vids on my YT page, you'll be able to see the suspension work on the ski. With the season winding down out there, you should be able to get a good deal. They also had the new RXPX's out there as well and although I never got around to trying one, some of those same guys I rode with that got beat up from the rough water noticed a huge difference with the ride on the new PX.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I thought you may have been down by the TC. Never had to worry about rough water there because it's kind of narrow. I think I know where you're at and you can get those winds coming off the mountains, along with the thermals and all that water. I guess my best advice is to try and ride both on a choppy day. I know for me, the suspension system improves things. It turns those sharp jolts into a mush and in some conditions where other people have to stand up and slow down, I can just point it into the sea and floor it without leaving the seat. We had a large event in Clearwater a couple of weeks ago that was feeling the effects of Irene. I watched a lot of people get beat up, but I didn't have too many of those issues. It just works for me and yes........pulling the brake at full speed is pretty fun! Check out the vids on my YT page, you'll be able to see the suspension work on the ski. With the season winding down out there, you should be able to get a good deal. They also had the new RXPX's out there as well and although I never got around to trying one, some of those same guys I rode with that got beat up from the rough water noticed a huge difference with the ride on the new PX.
    Good to know, so your thoughts are the iS? They have all three down there in Wenatchee, and he doubts their gonna sell this year. I'm just about 10 minutes north of Chelan, and yes we can get some good winds from all those factors you described, and it all gets funneled into one area, about a mile wide, be fore it opens up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstennes View Post
    Good to know, so your thoughts are the iS? They have all three down there in Wenatchee, and he doubts their gonna sell this year. I'm just about 10 minutes north of Chelan, and yes we can get some good winds from all those factors you described, and it all gets funneled into one area, about a mile wide, be fore it opens up.
    Well, I'm biased since I own one, but being as objective as I can, I believe it's the most flexible of the 3 you listed and will be able to adjust to riding conditions. When I hit smooth water, I lower the deck so the turning improves. As good as a fixed deck in that case? No. But good enough for me as the S3 hull tracks very well regardless. I went with some skis through mangroves a couple of weeks back in left my deck all the up for while and still managed all the tight turns, but I could tell the guys on the RXPs were having an easier time. If conditions change, I can raise the deck to full height in a few seconds.

It's a HUGE longshot, but I wonder if that dealer would be willing to bring and X and an iS out one day...maybe up to Chelan. If you assure him that you're buying one of them......you never know. I think you might want to punt on the aS, it's such a specialized machine.

Hope I'm helping out, I know there are lots of others out there that have differing opinions on a suspended ski, the ultimate factor is what you like.

Thread Information