"93 650 - want a water temp gauge

Good Day to all. I am new to the forum and have many questions on a rebuild I am doing. I bought the Sl650 new and it has been mothballed for quite a few years. I am going thru the engine and doing a complete re-paint. My Sl never had a water temp gauge (or any gauges for that matter). It over heated quite a few years ago and it took me a while to get it back on line. Can I install a generic 12v temp Gauge (ie from Autozone) and simply screw the sensor into the stock sensor that only activates the "buzzer". I have room in the panel and can cut a hole for the gauge and make it look as if it was always there!

I have never liked idiot buzzers since they often activate when it much to late to avoid a big problem.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    Cleveland OH
    It has been done, but overheating is kinda uncommon.

You need to check your water inlet and coolling hoses for obstructions.

Lastly, check your pop off valve inside the water cooling bar that's located next to the thermostat, What happens is it's made of plastic and as it wears, it starts to tilt inside the bore. As it does that, it gets wedged and doesn't allow the water to flow and you get an overheat.

Check into that as well.

Thread Information