82 JS550 Jetski wont accelerate

I took my 82 JS550 out to the lake and it would run fine at idle and will start to pull once given throttle, but it will not get off of the plane. If I hold it at WOT it will start to slow down and eventually will die. Once it dies it takes about 10 min of it sitting before it will restart.

I checked compression and each cylinder is at 135, and the carb/fuel pump was rebuilt. The ski has new gas mixed at 40:1, and it has new NGK br7es plugs. Both cylinders are firing. Im thinking its the high speed fuel screw is wrong. I spent 2 hours trying to tune it in by making small adjustments at a time but it never got better or worse by doing it.

And finally does anyone have Carb settings for the 82 JS550 as well as fuel line routing?

Another thing that I found out last night, is that the check valve on the fuel tank is does not work as intended. I can blow threw both sides of the valve. Could this be the problem with the ski. I would hate to have to pay another 24 dollars in launch fees and this is not the problem.

It could be numerous things check you carb base gasket for leaks
    bu ti believe its 7/8 high and low

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I took my 82 JS550 out to the lake and it would run fine at idle and will start to pull once given throttle, but it will not get off of the plane. If I hold it at WOT it will start to slow down and eventually will die. Once it dies it takes about 10 min of it sitting before it will restart.

I checked compression and each cylinder is at 135, and the carb/fuel pump was rebuilt. The ski has new gas mixed at 40:1, and it has new NGK br7es plugs. Both cylinders are firing. Im thinking its the high speed fuel screw is wrong. I spent 2 hours trying to tune it in by making small adjustments at a time but it never got better or worse by doing it.

And finally does anyone have Carb settings for the 82 JS550 as well as fuel line routing?

Another thing that I found out last night, is that the check valve on the fuel tank is does not work as intended. I can blow threw both sides of the valve. Could this be the problem with the ski. I would hate to have to pay another 24 dollars in launch fees and this is not the problem.

check your gaskets on the intake, they could be bad sucking air. try a complete rebuild on that BN carb you may need to get new neddles as well or just change over the the super BN they are a better carb hands down.

Thanks for the replies guys, but I think I found the problem. Im not sure as I have not fixed it yet, but I think the water box is leaking exhaust into the engine bay. I took the ski to the water a week ago and ran it on the trailer at WOT to adjust the high speed screw. I got it tuned in pretty good doing that and did not have any problems with it on the trailer. I then put the engine cover on and ran it up again on the trailer, and it started to bog down and loose power. When I pulled the cover off there was smoke in the engine bay. I have not had the time to take the water box out and check for cracks yet.

Thread Information